car guys? lil' assistance

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Okay, so I dont know who remembers me briefly mentioning my fiance having an '05 Mustang. Well the engine got seized :confused: a while back... And its time to start thinkin' swaps. Currently shes driving the new Challenger and im stuck with the '89 B2200.

Originally it had the V6 under the hood. As far as my new engine is concerned, do you guys think I could get a 302 or 351 crate engine to bolt right up? I have no idea how the whole wiring thing is gonna work out, I've never dealt with any vehicle electronics newer than my B.
I am not planning to supercharge or turbocharge my engine. Naturally Aspirated engine= less **** to screw up, more reliability. I am going to add some heads and headers after I'm all done to get a little more HP from the engine.
I want to keep the transmission and driveline costs low. At least if i go with a T5, the chances of me shortening the drive-shaft are low, and i can spend more money on the rearend.
I figure if possible, i'd might as well go with the 351W. Why go small when you can go all out?
This ECU could get weird. If you could eliminate all of the motors electronic controls and get the rest of the car to run on the ECU it wouldn't be hard though. Run the motor with a carb and MSD and it's a self contained system that only needs 12v. But if you wanted to stay FI using the OEM sensors wouldn't be real hard, Some would need to be tricked into reading a certain value, and some would just need special mounting points.
The bright side, all you US guys couldnt do it, a Windsor wouldnt pass emissions in an '05. I love Ontario :cool:

You might ask why I want to throw in so much money into such a project.. heres a hint:
The windsor's as practical as a 550rwhp blown 3v ;)

any of you guys who know cars have any input on this subject?

the easiest thing would be to put another 6 back in. If you really want the 8 its a wiring harness swap as well as the computer and maybe transmission, engine mounts, etc etc..$$$$

Do you want another project or do you just want it running again? If she's just using it to get around I'd just throw another stock V6 in there. Wiring in modern cars isn't easy.

yeah, i could just toss a new V6 crate engine in there in probably a day or two, but if youve seen any of my past projects, none of my cars stay stock LOL
like the trans am with a 454 rocket, or the diesel F150.....
The best part is I have access to a barely used 351W for $1,000 off my friend. Probably cheaper than i could find a replacement V6, PLUS waaaaaaaaaaaaay more hp than another GT

Cabbs; It's more of a project for the winter. got nothing else on the burner right now so I could focus on it. No need for it right now she's loving the Challenger too much LOL
Probably stick with a carb setup for now, when it gets running I'll do an EFI swap

Do you have emissions in the area? If not, then go for it if you really want to. At the very least, you could test-fit the engine in the bay while you have it out. As I'm sure you already know, there's going to be a bit of custom fab unless someone makes engine mounts for it.

not sure if this helps, but when my old 2000 V6 Stang motor had a ram rod break, i was able to get a used V6 fr 350$ at the junkyard, swapped it in a day. Lasted me another 30,000 miles and then i traded it in for the truck. so. just an idea? if in a pinch.

I think I'm going to. Gonna go pick up the new block for christmas :p
fitting it should be easy, i have a sneaky feeling i can modify the existing mounts.... Stock tranny should work with a different bellhousing. only part im confused on is the wiring. thing's gonna f***ing MOVE lol...
EDIT: FYI, the engine I'm going with is a FRPP crate engine it is not stock. It has GT-40x Aluminum heads, Roller rockers, E-303 cam and forged pistons ;)

HP Motorsport offers solid motor mounts, which lower the 351W by 3/4 inch in the engine cradle, improving both hood clearance and center of gravity (y) theres the mounts covered

Nice. As far as wiring, you could leave it alone while you're running the carb setup. The computer should take care of all the non-engine stuff, you'll just have to live with a constant-on CEL.

Back
Top Bottom