Windows Xp

Blackryu

Solid State Member
I reinstalled XP. But when I did it I did not format my harddrive because I couldn't boot up Windows anymore. But when I made another windows install. It booted up. Is it possible to fix the old WINDOWS.0 folder and bootup from there? or will i just need to take all the files from the old user to the old one?

you could have tried repair xp using cd, when you boot up with xp cd. Instead of reinstalling. Any way try the second repair option. (two times the repair option occurs,choose the second).

Or using first repair option type fixboot to fix your booting of xp

You may get different responses to this question, but as far as I know, you can't restore an old installation of Windows from the Windows.old folder. Theoretically though, I guess it may be possible using a linux boot disc and deleting the Windows folder and then renaming the Windows.old folder to Windows, however, I would seriously advise against this as I've never tried something like this. Looks like a good project for a Virtual Machine :)

To move on though, are you finding that there are certain setups or programs that you had on the old Windows installation that you're missing on the new installation? Why exactly are you wanting to restore the old?

Edit: Concerning restoring the old Windows setup... it's plausible that doing exactly what I outlined above may fix the issue, but again, that all depends on what exactly the issue was. If it was not booting, then the reinstallation may have fixed the boot sector or MBR that was corrupt. If something in Windows was corrupt though, then restoring the old would just reproduce the same issue you were facing originally.

Back
Top Bottom