Multiple Ethernet connections via one router?

KevinG1

Baseband Member
I am trying to connect two computers via Ethernet cable from one router..

I think its not possible to have two computers connected with Ethernet cable..You can only have 1 ethernet and the rest wireless..So, my question is there anyway I can get another device or something that will allow me to connect multiple computers via Ethernet cable?

I am more of a wireless person but these days transfer speed to my NAS (which is connected straight with my router) is extremely slow wireless about 2 mb/sec but with Ethernet connection it gives me like 15-16 mb/sec which is what I want!

Are you connecting them through the router or through each other? If you are connecting one to another you need a Crossover Cable and this will allow the 2 computers to talk to each other. If you are using a router you should simply connect them to the router and get their ip's and share whatever files you need. If you are needing help with this let me know I have setup many computers to talk via cross over cable through the years its pretty simple. Also are you running windows 7 vista xp what are you running on them?

and be sure that you dont have either of them plugged into the internet port on the router
use the 4 in a row

I am trying to connect them with the router straight..not connecting computers with each other...I called up ISP and they said that only one computer can be connected with ethernet cable to router and the rest can be wireless. So, I am confused now :(

I am on Windows 7 64 BIT
I have a cisco router - DPQ325 (model)

seriously look, im a networking major
just take your router and turn it to the back
there should be 1 RJ-45 jack on its own (RJ-45 is ethernet) then there should be 4 others grouped together
take one cable from PC A to one of the empty spots on the group
then take one cable from PC B to another empty spot on the group
and it should work just fine
if it doesnt then please post some pics or locate some of them for us
cuz i cant see any if i do a google search

Ok..Is there anyway I can plug in the ethernet cables to the telephone jacks (there are two I think one for telephone and one for the internet) so what I have done for the other computer is plugged that ethernet cable (one cable) to the router and the telephone jack (ethernet port) and then in the other room for PC A I have done the same but here its from the telephone jack to the computer. I did exactly the same but in the router there is one ethernet cable from telephone jack and no other spot for me to put the ethernet cable in. So, what to do here? but for PC B there is a spot in the other room with a jack that has the ethernet cable connected to my PC.

I am trying not to run the wire all the way from the hall way to the router / one room to another room because then I will need a bigger wire. Trying not to show wires around the home...So, can this be done in this way?

towards the router the setup is something like this http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/A5931177-117A-1362-253011B00FC762E7.jpg

The actual CABLE connected and then here is one telephone jack and one ethernet...(the image is not exactly what I have but It is similar) but in the other two rooms with PC A and PC B I have this but without the cable connected port...so one for tele and one for ethernet. Because in that telephone jack there is only one ethernet port (where the router is) could this be a problem of my computers only detecting one ethernet computer and not two, which is PC A only and NOT PC B. PC B is just not detected at all even if the PC A is shut down.

-------------
may be something like this would help me? http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/ima...hilips+Accessories+S60605+Alm+Mod+Dplx+Ja.jpg at the routers end (double Ethernet port, extension) that I will plug in to that ethernet port (in wall ethernet jack) so I will have two ethernet ports where I can then connect TWO ethernet cables in these two ethernet ports then I think PCA and PC B both should be able to connect with the internet..and no extra big wires / running wires around the home be needed..correct?

-------------

Ok..Is there anyway I can plug in the ethernet cables to the telephone jacks
Nope.

I am trying not to run the wire all the way from the hall way to the router / one room to another room because then I will need a bigger wire.
If you're running ethernet from one room to another than you need a cable going from one room to another! There's perfectly acceptable ways of hiding cables in trunking or behind walls, it doesn't have to look that ugly... :)

You only need to run one cable though - you can just have a router at the other end which you can plug into the cable, then plug other machines into this router.

Ok..Is there anyway I can plug in the ethernet cables to the telephone jacks (there are two I think one for telephone and one for the internet) so what I have done for the other computer is plugged that ethernet cable (one cable) to the router and the telephone jack (ethernet port) and then in the other room for PC A I have done the same but here its from the telephone jack to the computer. I did exactly the same but in the router there is one ethernet cable from telephone jack and no other spot for me to put the ethernet cable in. So, what to do here? but for PC B there is a spot in the other room with a jack that has the ethernet cable connected to my PC.

okay so if i am reading this correctly is that you are wanting to use a telephone cable
so.............. no. a telephone jack is a RJ-11 cable and its only 4 pins at max. an RJ-45 is 8 pins, the way you have it described you would need a modem on either side (at each computer)
and then the data transmission rates would suck
your best bet is to run the ethernet cable
i have some ideas for that
if you dont need that telephone cable, then you could take off the wall plates, tape a ethernet cable to the end of the telephone cable. go to your destination and pull the cable through which will run the ethernet cable in the same route as your telephone cable
now if you need to keep that phone cable, then just use it as a guide
by using tape to attach a length of rope long enough for the run to one end, then pull it to your destination and then tape the ethernet cable to the combo and pull it back using the rope
which will give you exactly what you need for the cost of a cable
compaired to 2 phone modems

I am trying not to run the wire all the way from the hall way to the router / one room to another room because then I will need a bigger wire. Trying not to show wires around the home...So, can this be done in this way?

towards the router the setup is something like this http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/A5931177-117A-1362-253011B00FC762E7.jpg

The actual CABLE connected and then here is one telephone jack and one ethernet...(the image is not exactly what I have but It is similar) but in the other two rooms with PC A and PC B I have this but without the cable connected port...so one for tele and one for ethernet. Because in that telephone jack there is only one ethernet port (where the router is) could this be a problem of my computers only detecting one ethernet computer and not two, which is PC A only and NOT PC B. PC B is just not detected at all even if the PC A is shut down.

-------------
may be something like this would help me? http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/ima...hilips+Accessories+S60605+Alm+Mod+Dplx+Ja.jpg at the routers end (double Ethernet port, extension) that I will plug in to that ethernet port (in wall ethernet jack) so I will have two ethernet ports where I can then connect TWO ethernet cables in these two ethernet ports then I think PCA and PC B both should be able to connect with the internet..and no extra big wires / running wires around the home be needed..correct?

-------------

omg
ummmm......... no
your 'double ethernet port' is a RJ-11 splitter
which if you try to split the RJ-45 cable like that the packet will get confused and you wont get any internet at all
so no it wont work
if you dont want wires then get a wireless router and wireless USB adapters
your not giving us many choices to work with

thank you for your help people..I got it worked..I went in the roof plugged in the cables then connected with the ethernet ports around the home and everything is working beautifully. thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom