Whats eating my storage space!

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, ive noticed that my storage space is gradually going down, even though i am doing nothing, if i look at the properties of my C drive, and then look again 30 seconds after, its gauranteed that a few hundred bytes will have been used up, its doing it constantly. So eventually this will mount up,

Whats causing this????

I really wouldn't worry about a few hundred bytes, it's not likely that it's doing it ALL the time. How big is your hard drive?

I'm willing to bet two things here. First is the paging file is growing for one reason or another. Since that's temporary space I wouldn't worry about it. Second is restore points. If you use the built in hard drive cleaning tool you can delete all but the most recent point.

the thing what worries me is that i have an ssd, which ive read become unstable after about 10,000 writes :(

Hi, ive noticed that my storage space is gradually going down, even though i am doing nothing, if i look at the properties of my C drive, and then look again 30 seconds after, its gauranteed that a few hundred bytes will have been used up, its doing it constantly. So eventually this will mount up,

Whats causing this????

Open the command prompt with Admin privileges and then type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" and that should show you how much space your backups (as pointed out by Celegorm) are taking up.

the thing what worries me is that i have an ssd, which ive read become unstable after about 10,000 writes :(

The Mean Time To Fail (MTTF) is actually about 6 times greater with SSD's.

this has given me an idea to write a guide on how to extend the life of a solid state hard drive, Watch this space

:)

I disabled restore points and paging file. still doing the same...hmm

@ Infection Zero, that may be true, but the write endurance is not as high as hard drive

Instead of starting a new forum i thought id carry on with this one seeing as i have the same question.

I have typed vssadmin list shadowstorage in command prompt and it shows im not backing up anything, i have disable page file and have changed the temp folder to another drive, and yet my C drive constantly changes, if i look at its properties and then again 30 seconds later it wont be the same.

p.s im using windows 7 pro 64bit, i have also booted in safe mode to see if it does the same, and it did.

I'm willing to bet two things here. First is the paging file is growing for one reason or another. Since that's temporary space I wouldn't worry about it. Second is restore points. If you use the built in hard drive cleaning tool you can delete all but the most recent point.
Well, the only way the pagefile would do that is if it's a system controled pagefile, as in not a fixed pagefile (Dynamicly expanding pagefile).
:)

I disabled restore points and paging file. still doing the same...hmm

@ Infection Zero, that may be true, but the write endurance is not as high as hard drive

First, SSDs will last you a good couple of years. What shortens the life of them is defragging. They should last well over 2 years AFAIK when used properly.
Second, did you think of system restore? That takes a bit of space too ;)

Anyways, if you are still in doubt, run a Virus/spyware scan.

Back
Top Bottom