What should i use for Basic Gaming developing? BASIC BASIC

If you don't plan on acutally selling the game I would go old school and pick up Visual Basic 6.0. That will teach you the logic behind programming and you can get your feet wet with Direct X.
I wouldn't recommend visual basic, you'll probably have a hard time going from that to C#. C# isn't that hard to get started with so I'd just go straight in there, you can avoid the bad habits you tend to get with VB then anyway.
Once you understand how to draw pictures, flip pictures, create moving particles, calculate where bullets are going to land etc etc, then I would move up to C++. The major benefit with going really old school (2006ish) is that you can still make amazing FPS, RPG etc games with good graphics and it takes A LOT less code that C or C++ would. Once you learn the logic behind writing a video game, then move to C++ for better performance (game will run faster)
Going old school doesn't let you create things more easily - VB.NET is just as effective, if not more so (I haven't touched VB6 for a number of years and with good reason!) VB.NET does take a lot less code than C or C++, but that's why I'd steer clear of those two altogether and go with C#... There's really very few new projects that are started in them these days, it tends to be a mixture of Java / .Net / Objective-C (for apple software.)

I wouldn't recommend visual basic, you'll probably have a hard time going from that to C#. C# isn't that hard to get started with so I'd just go straight in there, you can avoid the bad habits you tend to get with VB then anyway.

Going old school doesn't let you create things more easily - VB.NET is just as effective, if not more so (I haven't touched VB6 for a number of years and with good reason!) VB.NET does take a lot less code than C or C++, but that's why I'd steer clear of those two altogether and go with C#... There's really very few new projects that are started in them these days, it tends to be a mixture of Java / .Net / Objective-C (for apple software.)

You guys make me confuse but in the end i still got the same question how can C help me?
I used it and it's more to like open a command prompt

You guys make me confuse but in the end i still got the same question how can C help me?
I used it and it's more to like open a command prompt
It's difficult when there's two separate pieces of advice flying around, I admit - our advice is therefore conflicting somewhat!

I would strongly advise staying away from C / C++ for now at least, I'd go with C# and stick at that. When you've mastered the basics there's pretty standard libraries around for all the gaming stuff.

If people come back and tell you to go with C / C++ / VB then I disagree with them and I've stated my reasons why, I don't think they're a good choice for you at the moment. At the end of the day it just comes down to whose opinion you want to go with!

It's difficult when there's two separate pieces of advice flying around, I admit - our advice is therefore conflicting somewhat!

I would strongly advise staying away from C / C++ for now at least, I'd go with C# and stick at that. When you've mastered the basics there's pretty standard libraries around for all the gaming stuff.

If people come back and tell you to go with C / C++ / VB then I disagree with them and I've stated my reasons why, I don't think they're a good choice for you at the moment. At the end of the day it just comes down to whose opinion you want to go with!

You have given me accurate information so Ill keep studying C# and then ask more about those libraries. which i don't know absolutely anything about

Don't worry about the external libraries for now - it'll be a while before you get to that stage. Just master the concepts and syntax of the language itself (which will take quite a while if done properly!) and then just worry about that when you're fully competent. Have a go at building some basic programs as you feel you can after working through the tutorials, don't try and do too much in one go otherwise you'll either come unstuck or get really frustrated and most likely give up.

Back
Top Bottom