Laptop

Kage

Golden Master
Hey guys,

I bought a laptop today for my dad thinking it was pretty good for christmas, but now I'm having second thoughts about it.

I have no idea when it comes to laptops, and actually thought the graphics card was pretty good until I looked it up. Same for the processor.
I got disillusioned into the whole dual core, and 4000 series graphics, not realizing they were cheaper varients.

It only needs to be able to handle document tasks, e-mail, internet video, and play the Sims 3 for my sister.

From what I know, it'll probably play the Sims but only on Low/Medium settings...

Its a dual core also, but not a great one by the looks of it... outperformed by many above it, and the same speed as some single core celerons.

HP Laptops - HP G56-106sa Laptop PC

Cost me £349, and I'm really having second thoughts about it.
I feel a bit let down in myself that I thought so much of it when buying it, to find it probably will handle things they want to do, but only JUST :(
Its meant to be a replacement of the desktop computer, but my sister only really plays the Sims 3 on it, or its just general internet for her, and my dad, business tasks.

But if a Sims 4 comes out?

My dad will be shocked I've bought him a laptop at all, seeing as even £350 is too much to be honest as a christmas gift, but its something he wanted.
Am I best of returning it and even though I've paid that, see if there is a i3 or similar with a better graphics card?

I can really go mad when it comes to price, and my money. I can be very "whatever" with it sometimes, buying without much thought into the actual cost of it.
But I want it for them to have it a long time, so maybe paying an extra £100 would be worth it. I just don't know now.
I bought it from John Lewis today, as the price seemed okay, and the features supposedly so.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electricals/Laptops+and+Netbooks/Laptops+and+Netbooks/SubCategory.aspx

I just know I don't want to go for one with Intel HD graphics.

Overall though, it is much better than his old laptop, and my sister doesn't really bother with settings and the like. She just plays the games at default, so if it'll play the Sims 3 well, she'll probably be happy, whatever the settings; low or otherwise. So maybe I haven't chosen a bad one after all for their needs, but I'm still doubting it.

EDIT:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231050664/Product.aspx

That one seems to be a massive jump in graphics and processor, but for £300 more, am I daft shelling out for it? Over time, I'll probably get some money back from parents, and siblings as they understand I can't really spend as much as I have for a gift. Just my bank account for the moment :(

Just I really wanted something to surprise him with that he'd be happy with, but I kind of need to know I've bought a good one too, and it seems like I haven't, or by the looks of things I haven't.
For the price, probably yes.

Mmm, apparently the graphics on that one aren't that great either...

The first laptop should be perfectly fine for most normal tasks, and should handle The Sims 3 okay, if your sister is okay with low-mid settings.

ATI Radeon HD 4250 Graphics card benchmark
As you can see, with most games, it would handle alright with 30-50fps, so it is really all about her preference.

AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core benchmark
As you can see, the processor is fine, and outstripes even most of the Intel Core2 Duo's.

You will definitely get a bit of a boost in performance with the second HP laptop, but it really comes down to how intensively it will be used beside your sister playing The Sims.
It would only be worth the £300 difference if you can honestly say they need it. (I had to copy/paste the £ sign...silly $)

But overall, it is a great thought, and I am sure your father will be very pleased regardless.

Thanks for the reply GKil164 :)

She really isn't too bothered about settings, but the PC at home at the minute can run it in High, but I had to set them for her. She was happily playing at default before hand.
As long as it can get a decent frame rate, it'll be fine, and isn't just a throw away.

I looked up the chip on Youtube, and it can apparently run games such as GTA4 in Low settings at...a playable frame rate.

My dad will literally be using it for Word, e-mail, the odd download, writing to CD, and as a pass through to his amp for music he has on external drives.
He was actually more bothered about the amount of USB's, and it has 3, but if he needs more, you can buy a external socket.
The sound quality of the RealTek didn't seem to bother him anyway.

That is basically it. For his uses, its probably overkill, as his old 1GHZ (non intel/AMD) did him just fine whilst he had it.
I just wanted something to light game with as well for my sister, as my brother will want to take the big PC from her at some point for his flat, and don't want to leave her with nothing.

Thanks again. Its posts like this that make me feel better. I need that sometimes haha!

I'm glad the processor isn't all that bad after all :)

The links don't seem to be working however at the moment

It should be fine, as on The Sims 3 website, the minimum requirements are a 128mb gfx card with support for pixel shader 2.0 (this card uses 4.0). Sooooo, as far as I can see, you should be fine.

:D I'm just glad that is the only "high" spec game she plays for the moment

I guess when it comes to a new game coming out this laptop can't handle at all, she'll have her own money to buy her own laptop, so it'll act as a good pass over until anything happens, but it'll be fine for my dad regardless.

Thanks for the support. It helped.

He's certainly happy with it :)
Started welling up when he opened it, as he had no idea :p
Made it all worth it

Back
Top Bottom