Decent gaming computer?

RoniisH

Solid State Member
Hi!

I've put together a budget computer:

Case: Antec 300 Gamer Case

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Socket AM3 - ATX AMD 870 (GA-870A-UD3)

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3,2GHz / 8MB / Socket AM3

RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2X2GB) (CL9) (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (7200RPM / 32MB Cache / SATA II)

Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC (GV-N460OC-1GI)

I've got all the other stuff available (650W Corsair PSU, CD/DVD, card reader, sound card etc).

Anything that needs to be changed? The total sum of all of this is more or less my maximum budget.

Thanks!

Hm... I have one question.

The motherboard says it supports "DDR 1866(OC)/1333/1066 MHz", although the RAM I'm getting is "DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz". Will these work together?

1600MHz DIMMS are listed on the support list, however not your specific DIMMs. With that said, it should work, they can't list every single module that every single manufacturer makes, so as 1600MHz DIMMs are listed at higher specs than yours (CAS 8 rather than CAS 9), I would say it should deffinately work.

For the initial build, I would change the case and that is all. The Antec 300 is an ok case, but like nearly all other Antecs, cable management is awful, and especially an issue with the 300 is the price, you can get much better cases for your money. Assuming you are in US and paying Newegg price which is ~$60, $10 extra will get you a CM 690 II which is arguably the best bang for buck case on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119215

or, for less:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061

which if you don't like the styleings, you can get the same case with different, "plainer" looks for $10 extra:

Newegg.com - NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

With the extra money, getting another case fan would be a good option as they only come with one

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, however, I live in Sweden and the case you recommend is twice the price as the Antec 300.

I've looked at the case you recommended and read reviews about it and it seems great, however I have to draw the line somewhere :-D Everything keeps getting more and more expensive. If I had the extra cash, I'd gotten that one right away.

Should I go for 1600MHz or 1333MHz? The price difference is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom