Downgrading from Vista to Windows XP

Does the cd have the microsoft logo on it or dell or something? Is the harddrive a sata drive it may not have the drivers and you may have to load them.

If a motherboard has a parallel or 'IDE' bus on it, Windows will look for hard drives there. Since SATA hasnt fully replaced PATA yet, SATA drivers arent standard with new components (eventhough, IMHO they should be).

Like codeman said, try loading the sata drivers for the motherboard.

Buy windows 7 ultimate it is totally worth it

7 Is about $135 bucks the Home version, I prefer you stick with XP pro, and how to fix:

Get your sata drivers from hp, an get an external cd-r or something
put the disk in there
press F6 when the XP install loads
it will bring up a screen, click on the driver number and it will auto install it

-**BETTER YETT**-
Boot to vista if you havnt deleted it
slide the disk in
it should use the drivers already installed on vista and you should be fine.

-Had to do that a few times with my poweredge (now replaced with a nice Pavilion a700n)

Well, I attempted to disable the native SATA control, but of course I don't have that option within the BIOS on my laptop.

What is the best way to work around this issue. I still have Vista running on the laptop so I have access to anything.

Thanks for everyones help.

yeah codeman, it's a SATA driver. I've been looking for a work-around but I'm a little stuck at this point. I'm not sure where to get the SATA drivers, and how to encorporate them into my XP installation.

Ok, so I have made a new XP install disk, with my SATA drivers. I slip-streamed using N-Lite, so let's hope for the best.

it might be expensive but it totally worth, It automatically downloaded latest driver for my graphics card, mainboard drivers and my dvd rom, and it found the exact information from my mouse and keyboard it is totally worth getting, XP in my experience didn't help with any drivers

I think that if you have XP you have no reason to buy &, its just as good as if not better, its not a cpu or ram hog either...

Back
Top Bottom