Downgrading from Vista to Windows XP

mparsons

Solid State Member
So I've had my Vista laptop for a year or so, and I just can't take it anymore.

I've got a legit copy of Windows XP, and I want to start fresh, wipe the hard drive and install XP.

I just want to make sure I don't hit any unexpected bumps.

-I'm in the process of backing up my personal data files
-I've made a list of all programs I have and where I can download them
-I found all my product discs and they are ready to go once I'm done

My only concern is w/ drivers. I went to HP to download as many drivers as I could, but I just have a feeling I'm going to install the operating system, and none of my devices will work. If anyone could give me some recommendations that would be awesome.

XP is far more compatible than Vista. And (ive found this for myself) quiet often Windows 7 drivers also work for XP if you cant find XP drivers. Overall, a simple wipe-and-load install of XP couldnt be simpler. If else fails, programs like DriverScanner are available that will install drivers for you.

Well that's encouraging. I'll post my progress.

If I do hit some snags, I know command line, and I also have a Linux live CD if I need to move or replace files.

Thanks for the help!

can you give us the model of your hp laptop, im sure the drivers will be fine, Ive built lots of HP laptops on HP and have never had any problems with drivers

You should be fine with this model. The worst case you can download the vista drivers or windows 7 drivers as many windows 7 drivers are built backwards compatible strangely enough now anyway.

Well, I ran the setup cd and the program did not recognize my hard drive :D

Any suggestions?

I have had to reinstall XP a ton and what probably will happen is your ethernet driver will be out of date, so make sure you have access to another computer and a flashdrive so you can copy the driver update. Also make sure to check all of your drivers because there has yet to be one time i have installed XP and al my drivers were updated.

Back
Top Bottom