What should i use for Basic Gaming developing? BASIC BASIC

vaironl

In Runtime
OK So as You guys probably read before i want to be a game developer.
But i need to learn a bit I Don't know anythinG! about this stuff except Computer Science a bit Im a teenager Highschool and i have motivation.
Now can people provide me with free toolS?

I would start with C as most languages build from this. I started with vb.net and now do many others including C# vb.net java and many asp.net apps there are free compilers all over the web if you just google c lessons and c compilers you should get some results. The more advanced stuff does cost and if you are going to get serious after trying java or c you may want to look into visual studio..

I really don't get the fascination with the whole "start with C" thing - I see it mentioned all over the place, but it's really not the best place to start at all. It's certainly not BASIC BASIC, it's rarely used these days especially for games and it's really rather old now, you can pick up some awful habits by using it that people won't thank you for down the line!

Pick C up later if you need it - it'll be easy to learn once you've got to grips with another language. But there's really no / little point starting with it unless you really do want to go into hardware development or another low-level activity.

If you want to go into game development then C# would be a good language to learn - most games started these days use it because of how well it integrates with DirectX. A word of wisdom though, don't pick up C# today and expect to be coding games next week, you need to take time and build up to learn the language features, syntax and so on first. Even if you put lots of work into it, it may well take months for you to get to that stage, but DON'T skimp it otherwise you'll end up extremely frustrated and not able to really do anything you want to.

Thanks berry and codeman as for this Conclusion i will study C# i will start to search tutorials , and ill work hard on it even though i know that i can't expect to learn allot from one day to the other

I really don't get the fascination with the whole "start with C" thing - I see it mentioned all over the place, but it's really not the best place to start at all. It's certainly not BASIC BASIC, it's rarely used these days especially for games and it's really rather old now, you can pick up some awful habits by using it that people won't thank you for down the line!

Pick C up later if you need it - it'll be easy to learn once you've got to grips with another language. But there's really no / little point starting with it unless you really do want to go into hardware development or another low-level activity.

If you want to go into game development then C# would be a good language to learn - most games started these days use it because of how well it integrates with DirectX. A word of wisdom though, don't pick up C# today and expect to be coding games next week, you need to take time and build up to learn the language features, syntax and so on first. Even if you put lots of work into it, it may well take months for you to get to that stage, but DON'T skimp it otherwise you'll end up extremely frustrated and not able to really do anything you want to.

BTW i searched C# i Don't get a direct page for tutorial or youtube so can you help me is it C sharp or something?

A quick Google brought up this: C# Station: C# Tutorial - Introduction

I've no idea how good it is, but after a quick look through it seems to cover all the basics in the right order.

C# Station is where I started out and it's great for learning the basics, but you don't learn anything beyond working with command-line applications so once you reach the end of it, you'd need to find another tutorial that deals with stuff like Windows Forms, XNA and the like. :)

C# Station is where I started out and it's great for learning the basics, but you don't learn anything beyond working with command-line applications so once you reach the end of it, you'd need to find another tutorial that deals with stuff like Windows Forms, XNA and the like. :)

Ok So after C# i will search for those formats Thanks Guys

start with low level coding and work your way up try differant compilers etc see which works best for you

If you don't plan on acutally selling the game I would go old school and pick up Visual Basic 6.0. That will teach you the logic behind programming and you can get your feet wet with Direct X. Once you understand how to draw pictures, flip pictures, create moving particles, calculate where bullets are going to land etc etc, then I would move up to C++. The major benefit with going really old school (2006ish) is that you can still make amazing FPS, RPG etc games with good graphics and it takes A LOT less code that C or C++ would. Once you learn the logic behind writing a video game, then move to C++ for better performance (game will run faster)

If you don't plan on acutally selling the game I would go old school and pick up Visual Basic 6.0. That will teach you the logic behind programming and you can get your feet wet with Direct X. Once you understand how to draw pictures, flip pictures, create moving particles, calculate where bullets are going to land etc etc, then I would move up to C++. The major benefit with going really old school (2006ish) is that you can still make amazing FPS, RPG etc games with good graphics and it takes A LOT less code that C or C++ would. Once you learn the logic behind writing a video game, then move to C++ for better performance (game will run faster)

any free version of the software that has almost the same commands and features?

Back
Top Bottom