What Do You Think Of 3D Gaming??

JCB1

Daemon Poster
Hi

I love 3D movies at the cinema, but im not to sure 3D in homes will take off?? On the TV there are not many channels that are 3D ready.

But I think 3D gaming might take off. The PS3 now supports 3D gaming, and there are a few 3D game demos that you can download for free and play. Also Nintendo DS are about to release a 3D handheld console that you dont even need glasses to use, which sounds quite good.

So what do you think?? Will 3D gaming be the next big thing??

I think it COULD be but its got a long way to go. Until they can perfect it without glasses i dont see it working. I have tried it at a friend's house and also watched a football game on ESPN3D but I hated wearing the glasses so until that can be perfected I dont see it taking off..

I don't like like and don't go to 3D movies. Gaming in 3D will probably spike and then drop off just as fast.

My opinion is that we already have HD and blu ray and to me that is impressive. But now they are brining out 3D tv's, dude who needs to go rafting? just sit down, pretend you're wearing sunnies and enjoy rafting in your own home with no danger what so ever. I can see now that our kids or anyones kids are going to be obese, unfit and unhealthy because why go outside when you can experience it in your own bedroom or lounge room. If I was to ever get a 3d tv I would isolate it and only use it when having a movie night.

I used 3D for a day when Scan had the launch day for the GTX580 and they were basically handing out hundreds of pairs of glasses to use for the day on every single game they had up. I thought it was amazing. Before I used it I thought it would be like a 3D movie where everything looks normal, just with worse colour, except for the odd bit where they have massive amounts of 3D, but it really wasn't, it was permanently 3D, you felt more immersed, it was brilliant.

With current prices and hardware requirements, I can't see it taking off, but give it some time and once they have refined it and made it all cheaper, I can see it becoming quite big, even if just for a nieche, cult market

I'm not convinced about this 3D TV/Gaming thing...

See, when I look at a real object I perceive it's depth as well as it's height and width. A TV won't give you real depth perception. Also when I move around a still object I see it in a different perspective.

I think it's just another Pseudo 3D effect...

oh i forgot, as with everything the price needs to go down before people seriously think about investing in it

I'm not convinced about this 3D TV/Gaming thing...

See, when I look at a real object I perceive it's depth as well as it's height and width. A TV won't give you real depth perception. Also when I move around a still object I see it in a different perspective.

I think it's just another Pseudo 3D effect...

It does work. Take an FPS for example, on a normal screen it is a flat gun, flat surroundings, flat enemies, flat explosions. On 3D, the environment is wrapped around you, or gives the illusion of being wrapped around you, and it really really works, your gun is an actual, full 3D gun infront of you, explosions come towards you, as well as around, bullets come towards you, you feel like you have the environment around you, not just on a screen infront of you.

It is just a clever effect by layering offset pictures, but it works, and does give the effect of full immersion, or as immersive as it can possibly be whilst you are sat on your rear end before we get matrixesque gaming, where your mind is in it and you have no need to use any part of your body for it. Though I doubt that would ever happen :p

I think it will be a while before it really takes off in the mainstream. The cost is just too high at this point, I'm not really interested either anyway in 3D.

Back
Top Bottom