Replacing furnace blower motor

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Just as winter came in, our furnace blower motor decided to go out. The furnace still turns on and supply heat. However, since the blower motor went out, the heat doesn't get blown into the vents. Which means the whole house doesn't get heat.

So my question is, how hard is it to replace the motor? The model # for our furnace is GUP075-3A. How would we also find the replacement motor?

We called a contractor, and they told us it's going to cost $425 total to fix. I think it was about $300 for the motor, and $125 for labor.

Generally if the motor is easily accessable its not a big deal to switch it out just have to turn the power off and pull the old one out and slide the new one in with the right fittings. However if you find its not easily accessable its best to pay. Also just have to look as well becuase sometimes the manufacturer will void their warranty if its not installed by a professional.

Our furnace came out back in 1989, so I doubt there is even a warranty anymore.

Is there a way to find out how to replace it?

The motors generally come with them.. what is the brand of the furnace? Many times you can find them online..

a motor in a furnace are a very common design. and very cheap.
just pull it out and go to a surplus store, match up voltage, amps and the shaft diameter and in most cases the bolt pattern will be the same, your good to go.

Turns out to be an easy replacement after watching them change it.

Is a furnace what us Brits call a Boiler? I.E. the source of heat in a Central Heating system?

Yes and No, furnaces are coiled heating units that flow air around. We also have older homes with boilers in them that have the radiator's which circulate the water from the boiler so we have both..

From what you're telling us in your post, yes.
@codeman: Wouldn't the boiler mentioned be called a boiler room or do I have it wrong there?

Glad to hear it was an easy job, but if you have an easy access to your furnace, a lot of jobs will be made easier. At our house, we have what we call a crawl space as a basement (Where there's no floor; just dirt), and it makes the simple job of changing the filter a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom