slave drive issues ..........

fsteyer

Baseband Member
Hi -

I just changed to a new computer which works fine on its own. When I try to add in my old HHD (WD3200 caviar) on a Serial ATA port as the secondary HDD I get the threated blue screen and XP Professional SP3 won't load of course.
I checked the BIOS setup and the HDD showes up as secondary drive as it should.
I ran a diagnostic on the drive and there are no SMART errors.
Also, a SATA drive doesn't need a jumper, right, since it has it's own port??

Any help is greatly appreciated since I want the files on my "old" drive.
Thank you ........

Click Start > Right Click on Computer and select Manage. Double click Storage then double click Disk Management. You should see the other drive here and you can right click on it and assign a drive letter. (I'm at work on XP so I don't have the exact steps, sorry).

thanks .... actually I installed Windows 7 and it solved my problem.

On another note - when I try to install my additional memory cards in my new computer (512 each) the computer won't even boot into BIOS. Any ideas?
Thank you again .......

Can you post more details such as the exact details of the RAM and motherboard you are using? Its more than likely going to be incompatible RAM, or your using mixed sticks of RAM etc.

thanks .... actually I installed Windows 7 and it solved my problem.

On another note - when I try to install my additional memory cards in my new computer (512 each) the computer won't even boot into BIOS. Any ideas?
Thank you again .......
im guessing the memory modules are different specs?? They might need to be the same to be able to be used in your computer

I see .... I didn't know they are computer specific. I wrongly thought that as long as they fit the socket they would work.

Thanks again .....

Back
Top Bottom