Yet another problem with client's comp: Error code:0x80070057

mikee

Fully Optimized
I put another older HDD into a clients computer and tried to reinstall windows but this error comes up as soon as files are about to copy over.

Windows could not format a partition disc 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition for installation. Error code:0x80070057 .

I tried doing a slow format of the partition in the recovery console which tool 3 hours only to throw an vague error message as soon as it hit 100% The old drive I took out apparently according to the ubuntu disk manager had many bad sectors but the drive I am trying to work with passes all the tests. I did these tests using an ubuntu live cd.

I googled around for an answer to this but there are so many different causes and solutions. I am really stumped

how do you do that?

IT does show up as the correct drive and capacity in the bios

Unplug your PC from the wall.
Take out your battery. Leave out for about twenty minutes.
Your CMOS will still be there, but notes that MS writes will be gone.

There may be a button or switch that you have to press/move to clear the BIOS.

What I've had to do lately is pull the battery, hold down the power button for a few seconds (unplugged from the power supply, of course), press the button to clear BIOS (hold it down for 10 or so seconds), put the battery back in, plug everything back in, and pray it works.

Ive been looking into this error and it seems to be happening in existing systems, seems strange to be happening on a clean install. How are you reinstalling windows? Are you sure your formatting the correct HDD? Is your boot order correct, IDE or SATA drives?

Take a look here to see if you can find anything more specific
0x80070057 - Microsoft TechNet Search

IT is a sata drive. It doesn't seem to want to format under anything. I tried running a few disk programs of ultimate boot cd, I tried running a few of the disk programs and they all started to format but eventually give some sort of error. I ordered a new cheap hdd to see if that is the issue which I am starting to think it is. THe drive won't format in my hdd dock either.

Are you trying to format from inside windows or are you booting from the windows installation disc? You cant format the HDD from inside windows.

I took the disk out of the computer and brought it back to my place and put it in my hdd dock and ran a sector scan on it to see if the ubuntu disk took was telling the truth. After taking all night to scan it turned up having 27% bad sectors which is a heck of a lot. I did manage to format it while in the dock in windows 7 before scanning it since it would just crash the program before

Back
Top Bottom