Random Chit Chat

Ebay is more of the $40 range after shipping and stuff. Craigslist doesn't have any near the Denver area, and even when it does, it's overpriced. Never heard of Gumtree.

Well, if you had a decent CPU, You wouldnt need that 8800GT! So, Why not sell the 8800GT, Buy a CPU + Mobo + Cheaper GPU (Maybe even used Onboard GPU)?

Not sure how much the 8800 is fetching over in the US, but here is australia you'd roughly get $60 - $80. So, sell the Motherboard,CPU and GPU you have now, after everythings been said and done, you should have around $100 US.

Motherboard - $54.55

CPU - $42.99

------------

$97.54

With the onboard 4200, i'd be very suprised if that doesnt get you 1080p. My Laptop (2.1 Ghz turion dual core, Radeon x1200 onboard even plays 1080p).

Edit; Just done some research;

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...d-4200/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4200-overview.aspx

I Reckon getting this combo would be the best cost-effective option.

In December 2007, The United States enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, requiring all general-purpose light bulbs to be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The phase-out will start with 100-watt "general service" bulbs in January 2012. 60 and 40-watt "general service" incandescent lamps are targeted to be phased out by January 2014. By 2020, a second tier would become effective; which requires all general-purpose bulbs to be at least 70% more efficient (similar to current CFLs)

WTF?!?! What about the people who get headaches from fluorescent bulbs?

Flickering Fallacy: The Myth of Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb Headaches: Scientific American - "Energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) are taking the world by storm. But can they cause headaches due to flickering? Most experts say no: Unlike the older long tube fluorescent lights, the flicker rate of the new CFLs is way too fast for the human eye or brain to detect."

That's what they say about CCFL-backlit monitors, but I can clearly see mine flickering.

My dad put those compact fluorescents in our house a while back and I started getting headaches every day. After about a month, I got him to switch them back and the headaches went away. I doubt it's a coincidence. I can also see them flickering in some people's houses. Maybe that's just when they're getting older, but it looked an awful lot like the 60Hz flicker of the tube fluorescents.

GAH! I just started listening to some of my music from back when I first started getting music back in 2002 and some of my songs are glitchier than I remember them being.

It really makes me realize how many times I have moved my music collection.
from the original computer to the new HDD when I upgraded then later the drive partially died and I moved the music collection again to another drive then my external hdd then to my new computer then another new drive in my computer.

It really is crazy now that I think of it how much my stuff has moved over the years and I keep hearing from people saying copying and moving stuff around many times slowly degrades the files over time. Man time really flies

GAH! I just started listening to some of my music from back when I first started getting music back in 2002 and some of my songs are glitchier than I remember them being.

It really makes me realize how many times I have moved my music collection.
from the original computer to the new HDD when I upgraded then later the drive partially died and I moved the music collection again to another drive then my external hdd then to my new computer then another new drive in my computer.

It really is crazy now that I think of it how much my stuff has moved over the years and I keep hearing from people saying copying and moving stuff around many times slowly degrades the files over time. Man time really flies

Wait, what? The file will not degrade unless you are changing the bitrate or something. I've got some FLAC songs that have been moved probably 10-15 times and they are all just fine.

Well, if you had a decent CPU, You wouldnt need that 8800GT! So, Why not sell the 8800GT, Buy a CPU + Mobo + Cheaper GPU (Maybe even used Onboard GPU)?

Not sure how much the 8800 is fetching over in the US, but here is australia you'd roughly get $60 - $80. So, sell the Motherboard,CPU and GPU you have now, after everythings been said and done, you should have around $100 US.

Motherboard - $54.55

CPU - $42.99

------------

$97.54

With the onboard 4200, i'd be very suprised if that doesnt get you 1080p. My Laptop (2.1 Ghz turion dual core, Radeon x1200 onboard even plays 1080p).

Edit; Just done some research;

ATI Radeon HD 4200 Series Overview

I Reckon getting this combo would be the best cost-effective option.

It would be pretty hard selling my P4, 768MB DDR ram, and an 8800GT. I think the most I will get out of my whole desktop would be ~$100.
Also, for $100, I can get an Athlon II X4 640 with an Biostar Motherboard at Micro Center.

I've decided to just re-encode all my 720p/1080p videos. Mainly because I only have an 160GB in there and Ubuntu took 10GB.

Anyone know how to make Ubuntu mount the second partition on start up?
I set up to load XBMC on start up, however, all my files are on the second partition, and unless I go to Places>"second partition", I will always get an "file not found" till I exit out of XBMC, open up my second partition, then open XBMC again.

Wait, what? The file will not degrade unless you are changing the bitrate or something. I've got some FLAC songs that have been moved probably 10-15 times and they are all just fine.

They are all mostly 128kbps mp3s but there are some pops and clicks every now and again that weren't there that I can remember when I got the songs. Oh well I really am not asking for help on this I just had to state my disappointment at the issue.

Back
Top Bottom