VHS -> PC. TV tuner card?

Wilty

Solid State Member
OK.

I want to get some VHS tapes onto my computer and eventually onto dvd.

I'm about to start a new 6-core build, and I want to incorporate a card of some sort that will allow me to hook up a VCR and record tapes using Sony Vegas.

Will a card like this be able to do that?:

Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 - White Box 1187 PCI-Express x1 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

Keep in mind, this would be for converting VHS stuff only. No live tv, no exporting to an external source, just capturing some old school magnetic media.

pretty sure the card isn't going to know the difference between a cable signal and a VCR/VHS signal.

I have one and there is some sort of content protection to block you from doing that. What I had to do was VCR1 composite out>VCR2 composite in>VCR2 coaxial out>TV tuner card. It worked but picture quality was degraded a bit.

pretty sure the card isn't going to know the difference between a cable signal and a VCR/VHS signal.

That was my thought, too. But...

I have one and there is some sort of content protection to block you from doing that. What I had to do was VCR1 composite out>VCR2 composite in>VCR2 coaxial out>TV tuner card. It worked but picture quality was degraded a bit.

I'd be a little surprised that some sort of content blocker would block a VHS tape, but not a digital TV signal.

I'd be a little surprised that some sort of content blocker would block a VHS tape, but not a digital TV signal.

There is no content protection on TV signals. There clearly is on VHS tapes, as media center just gave me a warning when I tried to convert my Star Wars VHS tapes.

There is no content protection on TV signals. There clearly is on VHS tapes, as media center just gave me a warning when I tried to convert my Star Wars VHS tapes.

Is that with the write protection switch on or off on the tape?

depending on the source material, Macrovision encoding may or may not be a problem for you. If they're home movies - no problem. If they're commercial VHS, which I can't fathom why you'd need to convert them unless they aren't available in any other format (in which case they probably aren't protected since that schema cost $$ back then) then I don't see a problem.

depending on the source material, Macrovision encoding may or may not be a problem for you. If they're home movies - no problem. If they're commercial VHS, which I can't fathom why you'd need to convert them unless they aren't available in any other format (in which case they probably aren't protected since that schema cost $$ back then) then I don't see a problem.

As a matter of fact...there is 1 movie I just bought that was never (and probably never will be) released on DVD. So I bought it on VHS for something like 2 bucks with the intention of converting it to a digital format.

I ordered all the major parts for my new system today, I'll have to just bite the bullet and order a tv tuner card and just try it out.

Back
Top Bottom