Random Chit Chat

The GIMP keeps becoming nonresponsive when I try to do basic things. WTF?

EDIT: Screenshot:

2010-12-15_1147.png

All I tried to do was rotate the picture a bit, but it instantly locked up.

If anyone here has photoshop and a computer powerful enough to edit a 414 MB TIFF, I sure could use a favor...

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I got it. Why is GIMP only threaded for one core though? I'm watching it draw the picture in.

Not exactly... I use one of my parents cars. It's not MY car, but I am able to use it most of the time!

The GIMP keeps becoming nonresponsive when I try to do basic things. WTF?

EDIT: Screenshot:

2010-12-15_1147.png

All I tried to do was rotate the picture a bit because my tripod legs kept sinking into gravel as I was taking it.

How much RAM do you have? That's a rather large image - 141+ MP.

How much RAM do you have? That's a rather large image - 141+ MP.

I have 4GB. I had task manager open and it never went over 75% usage.

It's still cropping the image. It's been at that for like 5 minutes now.

W00t! It's done. The final image is 38416x2464 and 270MB.

EDIT:
45063362.jpg

Right click, view in new window/tab to see it full size (actually 1/4 size, but whatever.)

Haha, is this a sucket 478 or LGA775 Motherboard? Any chance of an early dual core CPU being compatible?

It's an 775, however, since it's one of the older ones, Pentium D is the highest.

You should check craigslist. I've seen Pentium D systems go for like $25 before.

I might, but I need to find a ride first. Not sure if I want to bring a computer around riding a bus and lightrail. I could get an Pentium D 2.8 Ghz for $20 off of ebay, but I will still need an HSF for it as Pentium D seems to run hotter.

I might, but I need to find a ride first. Not sure if I want to bring a computer around riding a bus and lightrail. I could get an Pentium D 2.8 Ghz for $20 off of ebay, but I will still need an HSF for it as Pentium D seems to run hotter.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still trying to find a ride to pick up a couple monitors from craigslist.
You could probably find a stock Pent. D heatsink on ebay for about $10.

It's probably a 32BIT version of GIMP, which CAN'T use more than 2GB RAM unless some special launch parameters are set... i think.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still trying to find a ride to pick up a couple monitors from craigslist.
You could probably find a stock Pent. D heatsink on ebay for about $10.

$30 seem a bit much just to upgrade to a Pentium D. If only I can find an AM2 motherboard. Then it would be an 64 X2 4800+, and 1GB DDR2. However, I do not have the $50 to buy an motherboard. Anyone know where I can get one for ~$20?

Back
Top Bottom