Laptop trackpad randomly unresponsive... (looking for hardware diagnostic software??)

stunna7516

Beta member
I accidentally spilled coke on my Thinkpad's keyboard about a month ago. Luckily, after completely taking it apart and cleaning out the inside with alcohol (as well as buying a replacement keyboard part), my laptop appeared to function as good as new.

The only problem I have noticed is that randomly, for ~10 seconds at a time, in no type of pattern, both my trackpad, all of the mouse buttons, and my trackpoint freeze up. I don't really understand how all of this could be since they both work 99% of the time. Additionally, the trackpoint connects to the motherboard via the keyboard connector, and the mouse buttons and trackpad connect via a separate connector on the motherboard. This puzzles me because I would not expect the trackpoint to freeze up while the keyboard still works.

Any suggestions about:
A) What might be causing this?
or
B) If there are any detailed hardware diagnostic programs that might help me to discover my problem?

Both Lenovo's and Microsoft's diagnostic programs detect no problem with my hardware. I also just reformatted, so I don't think it is a driver issue since it never happened before the spill. Thanks guys!

You know what's causing this. You spilled coke on your keyboard. Buy a replacement unit. They're readily available, but can be pricey.

The trackpad is replaceable, and I would be fine with replacing it, but if the trackpoint is attached to the keyboard (which I already replaced) and experiences problems at the same time, then replacing the trackpad will likely not fix my issue. This is why I want to run some kind of diagnostic software before I start randomly replacing parts. Maybe my trackpad is fine, but the motherboard has some kind of short. In this case, I would be better off just living with the problem and not wasting my money on trying to fix it. See what I am saying?

Back
Top Bottom