Will the ATI Radeon HD 5970 be bottlenecked by a Athlon II tri core@3.1GHz?

SC2RAGE!

BSOD
Hello, I am pretty new to this forums site and well I have been wondering for a while...

Will an ATI Radeon HD 5970 be extremely bottle necked by a Athlon II Tri core@3.1 Ghz?
If so then how much or how bad would it be bottle necked by a tri core and what would be the solution to not bottle neck such a monster of a card.

-Jon:D

your best bet would be to get a 5870 and a new phenom II quad you could get them both for the price of a 5970.

Probably not. Most games use 2 cores, some use three and very few use four. So two or three cores at that speed should be absolutely fine. How about OC'ing to about 3.4GHz though? It's not a massive increase but it'll really help and AMD's stock cooling should be able to handle it.

Keep your current CPU or get a Phenom II dual core with 7MB L3 cache. Buy the 5970, you'll be fine.

edit: Snoodles, for gaming you will get more performance out of a GOOD dual core (such as a Phenom II X2 555) than an average quad. Quads are for rendering, video editing, running many apps etc.

Hmm yeah I was pretty iffy on whether or not buying the 5970 because with the AMD Tri core because I don't want to just throw money down the drain. Also I can unlock the 4th core if I reallllly wanted to play such a game that takes that extra core. :D AMD is GRRREAT!!!!

Danny has some good insight, the Tri core should be just fine. There are a few games beginning to pop-up here and there utilizing the Quad cores, but not enough to justify buying one specifically for gaming just yet.

Your 5970 should have plenty to eat off of a Tri-core.

No, it will not be a massive bottleneck at all. For games/folding, you will get better performance with an Athlon II x3 and a 5970 than with a Phenom x4 and a 5870, that is until you get to games with a lot of physics processing, but even then, the CPU will still be good. The only thing I would say to consider is a GTX580 over a 5970, as it uses less power, is smaller, produces less heat and has Physx. It will also be slightly cheaper, and have the same performance in games and similar features, but with extra performance in games with heavy tesselation.

The last point is, at the moment, just marketing jargon, but more games are starting to utilise multilayered tesselation because both Nvidia and ATi are focussing on it more.

Either way, you will get a card that is plenty for your need. However, what power supply will you be using with all of this?

my old dual core which was pretty good ran most games good but other like crap one of my friends let me swap my dual for the same triple he is using out of one of his other computers he hardly uses and i saw a massive improvement in the games my dual couldnt play. i personally think that the 5970 is way overkill unless your playing multi monitor or in 1080P i suggested the phenom II X4 and a 5870 because it would save some money and give you more performance than your actually going to use.

( also Aastii i never said it would be a massive bottleneck i just said that this might be a better set up which i still believe.)

Back
Top Bottom