Battery care function

Dustin_Broke1

In Runtime
Does this battery care function really help save the batteries life? It has two choices I can select one is 50% and one is 80%. It said that if I will be using AC power mostly then set it to 50% and if I use the battery the most then set it to 80%. I have been using my notebook at home mostly so I use the AC power. Or is it best to just have that feature off and let it charge 100% when the computer needs to? I don't think my computer will overcharge since todays computers won't do that.

I've not used it first hand, but after doing a little digging, it would appear that it does work, sort of. It does increase the life of the battery, but even with charging to 100% the lifespan is still pretty long. Unless there is a problem with the battery and you are unlucky to have one with a short lifespan, you can expect something else to go before the battery will, or the laptop to be outdated.

If you use battery power a lot, it may be a good idea to use to prolong the life, but bare in mind that it will reduce the time you can use the laptop

Well I will be using my notebook at home mostly so it's always pluged in. It did say that if I use the AC power alot then set it to 50% charge. Should I set it to that? Or should I just ignore that feature and let it charge to 100%. I just want to make my battery last longest as possible since notebook batteries are expensive you know.

If you use the notebook plugged into the mains alot then i'd go for 50%. The way it works is to limit the battery charge to 50% capacity; the batteries don't like to be 'held' at a constant 100% charge as this reduces their life.

Otherwise set it to 100% and plug it in when it needs charging, then unplug when charged.

Simple.

Another tip that I have found works really well is at least once every few weeks unplug it and run it all the way down until it put itsself into hibernation and then recharge it all the way. If you let it run its self totally dry everyonce in a while it helps to retain life a little if you ask me. No research to back it up I just started doing this with my last laptop and this one and the last one I had have really had great battery life compared to my first 2.

Lithium Ion batteries degrade faster if they are kept fully charged at higher temperatures. That is why your notebook computer has those battery charge level settings. I would keep it a 50% if you are using it plugged into AC all the time to help preserve the battery. If you need to use the notebook on battery you may need to charge it to full capacity depending upon how long you will need to use it on battery power. But, if you find that 50% or 80% charge is sufficent for your needs when running on battery you might use the lower charge levels to help preserve the battery a little more.

I run my notebook on AC power almost exclusively. So, I charge the battery to 50%, put it in a ziplock bag, and keep it in the refrigerator to keep it from degrading. If I need to use it, I take it out of the frig and leave it in the ziplock until it reaches room temperature, then give it a charge.

Back
Top Bottom