Intel HD drivers

Dustin_Broke1

In Runtime
I was wondering about this but is it always ok to download the latest video drivers from Intel site? I currenty have the Intel HD graphics and I noticed that Sony esupport website has an older version of the video driver for my notebook and I wanted to get the latest drivers from Intel website but want to make sure if that's ok. I usualy notice that Intel has more updated drivers for this video cards than Sony so I assume it's ok to use Intel website support driver for the Intel HD that I have.

I have the Sony VPC-EB3QFX

Now I did talk to Sony tech support and they said something about all Sony notebooks are OEM drivers and they said they recommend to only download them from esupport website.

Also when I used auto detect drivers on Intel website it said that my video driver is custom made or so. But do you think they using the drivers from Intel is still ok? I don't know but just want to make sure that everything will run right but of cource I do want the latest drivers too. Now if you did say that it will work then I guess I can go ahead and download the drivers but before I do I want to make sure if it's still ok after what I found out talking to Sony techs and going to Intels site.

I used the Automatically identify and find drivers thing and ran it and it said.

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 8.15.0010.2182
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Should I just ignore this and go ahead and download the latest drivers from Intel?

Make a backup first, then update the drivers. If it causes any graphical issues, or BSODs, or any other problems, just roll back and know to only use the Sony drivers from then on. As the chip is made by Intel, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work, even though Sony are using drivers they made themselves

Some people have said to me that companies like Sony or Dell do change there hardware and made it better then the original Intel HD so I need to use there drivers from Sony or Dell in order to work. I use to own a Dell tower and when I formatted the system and reinstalled Windows I tried downloading the drivers from Intel and those drivers won't even let me install. So I had to goto Dell's website and download the drivers from there for the model I have then it worked fine.

Basicly I just don't know if the normal Intel drivers will work directly from Intel on my Sony notebook.

Honestly, it's all luck. A lot of video cards are tailored by the end manufacturer, like my laptop's video card by Nvidia. I can install the latest and greatest from Nvidia but every time the powersaver kicks in and shuts off my monitors I have to manually redetect for the second monitor to come on when I'm docked. Never had an issue with things other than video drivers so I'd say if it's audio or network go for it, video just stick with what sony has.

Do most people install drivers directly from like Intel, Nvidia or ATI. Or do most people just install all of the latest drivers from whoever made the computer like Sony, Toshiba etc? Will companies like Sony will soon update there drivers on there site? Sony did say that there drivers on the esupport page is the latest they have.

I'll always try and get the drivers directly from the site. So whether it's a ATI, nVidia or Intel hardware I will get the drivers from their site.

Ok I did try for the first time to install the latest drivers from Intel and this is what I get.

"The driver been installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit"

What does this mean?

Was I suppose to uninstall the current driver first?

No it basically means what Sony told you, that you have to use their drivers. It is the same Intel chip the driver is for, else it would say the device the driver is for couldn't be found, but the drivers from Intel can't be used on it. Chances are something on the motherboard is changed that will affect a bus so the normal drivers won't work, or can't be updated from with the Intel drivers

Ok I got it to work I uninstalled the Intel HD drivers and installed the Intel's latest drivers and it works fine. So far I don't see any problems when I play games on it or so. Someone did say to uninstall the Sony drivers and install the Intel drivers and it did work. But what is really strange is that why does Sony itself makes drivers that are not the same as Intel if the Intel ones work fine on my system?

Ok I got it to work I uninstalled the Intel HD drivers and installed the Intel's latest drivers and it works fine. So far I don't see any problems when I play games on it or so. Someone did say to uninstall the Sony drivers and install the Intel drivers and it did work. But what is really strange is that why does Sony itself makes drivers that are not the same as Intel if the Intel ones work fine on my system?

Most probably because the Sony ones work better, they will be designed specifically for the laptop you have.

This happens with generic drivers too, when a new video card comes out, the performance on the same card 6 months down the line with a few updates from the original cherry drivers will be improved, because the drivers are more streamlined. It is different for graphics cards though, because they can be used in a vast variety of systems, but as each laptop is custom designed by the manufacturer and are also identical, the drivers can be made to work best with the best components there

Back
Top Bottom