Computer Issues

Spencer Joseph

Beta member
Hello Computer Forums users,

I have a few question on my computer and what is wrong with it.

First off--specs:

Laptop: HP Pavillion Dm4
Processor: Core i5 2.4 ghz (turbo up to 2.9)
Graphics: ATI Radeon Mobility 5450 Switchable with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
RAM: 4 GB

Now on to the issues and questions.

issue 1:

For a 64 bit os (As far as i can tell) i should have a Program File (X64)
but instead i have the (X86) instead. is this an issue/ how can i remedy this?
Added weirdness: when i tried to open an old program i got a message saying: This program is not valid with this version of 32 bit Windows.

issue 2:

When i go to Switchable Graphics, i have the option to click on either High-Performance GPU or Power Saving GPU. usually when i do this it says "are you sure you want to change GPU, it is recommended to close apps.. BLAHBLAH" however, sometimes it simply does nothing. i click the GPU i would like and literally nothing happens. This same issue seems to have happened to --> http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1362688.htm ... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to CF!

For a 64 bit os (As far as i can tell) i should have a Program File (X64)
but instead i have the (X86) instead. is this an issue/ how can i remedy this?

You should have two folders:
Program Files - This is for your 64 bit applications
Program Files (x86) - This is for you 32 bit applications

Added weirdness: when i tried to open an old program i got a message saying: This program is not valid with this version of 32 bit Windows.

That is odd, what program are you trying to run?

When i go to Switchable Graphics, i have the option to click on either High-Performance GPU or Power Saving GPU. usually when i do this it says "are you sure you want to change GPU, it is recommended to close apps.. BLAHBLAH" however, sometimes it simply does nothing. i click the GPU i would like and literally nothing happens. This same issue seems to have happened to --> http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1362688.htm ... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was going to recommend updating the drivers for the switchable graphics technology, but it appears that AMD has not posted any to it's website and from another site I found, they're still based on Vista.

Welcome to CF!

You should have two folders:
Program Files - This is for your 64 bit applications
Program Files (x86) - This is for you 32 bit applications

Got it, Have those

That is odd, what program are you trying to run?

Tribes Vengance designed for xp though so im not sure about that one

I was going to recommend updating the drivers for the switchable graphics technology, but it appears that AMD has not posted any to it's website and from another site I found, they're still based on Vista.

:( so what should i do? i have the software called CCC from ATI but it doesnt help.

any other ideas?

Tribes Vengance designed for xp though so im not sure about that one

Have you tried using the compatibility options? I doubt it will work but another option you do have is installing Windows XP in a Virtual Machine and running the game through there. VMWare player is a great free Virtual Machine software. This is how I play Diablo 2.

:( so what should i do? i have the software called CCC from ATI but it doesnt help.

any other ideas?

What version of CCC are you running? Here's a download I found with some newer versions of CCC. However, I haven't downloaded from this site, and it's not from AMD officially so I would backup your computer with Windows Backup or the like and include a system image in the backup and then install.

Back
Top Bottom