Installing windows 7 upgrade edition?

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, i have the windows 7 pro 64bit upgrade edition. To make it work i installed xp, then installed the windows 7 on top of it seeing as you need an existing os.

Would i have to do this again if i were to install it on a new hard drive, or could just just install the windows on its own seeing as i have already activated the license number once before?

you can use norton ghost to clone your existing hard-drive on to your new hard-drive

Have you tried just using the upgrade edition of Windows 7 to install the OS instead of installing Windows 7 and then using the Windows 7 upgrade edition disk? Also, if you are moving to a bigger hard drive, don't do a reinstall. Simply use Clonezilla and copy an image of your current disk to the new, bigger disk. Clonezilla will save you TONS of time.

Id prefer doing a fresh install, to clean things up, do you know if i can use the license key without having an existing OS on there seeing as I have already activated the key once before, or do i still have to have an existing OS on there for it to work??

Id prefer doing a fresh install, to clean things up, do you know if i can use the license key without having an existing OS on there seeing as I have already activated the key once before, or do i still have to have an existing OS on there for it to work??

Was the upgrade editon cheaper then the retail full install copy if so how much cheaper?

well im a student, and as a student i can get windows 7 for 40 quid. The downside of it is that i could only get the upgrade version. im not sure how much it is for non student people.

From what I understand, the upgrade disk is no different from a regular Windows 7 Pro x64 disk that you would normally have. So just pop in the upgrade disk and see if you can do a clean install. If not, then you're just going to have to install XP, then upgrade to 7 with the upgrade disk.

From what I understand, the upgrade disk is no different from a regular Windows 7 Pro x64 disk that you would normally have. So just pop in the upgrade disk and see if you can do a clean install.

You can't do a clean install with an upgrade disk. You have to have a pre-existing Windows installation.

You can't do a clean install with an upgrade disk. You have to have a pre-existing Windows installation.
This is what I understand as well. There shouldn't be a problem with installing xp first and then windows 7, it'll be fine.

It's not the same as xp was, the upgrade and full version discs being the same. I have an xp upgrade disc and I've done a full install with it many times and never had a problem. Windows 7 isn't like that, Microshaft isn't going to let people get around buying their more expensive full versions this time.

ok, buttttttttttttttttttttttttt, seeing as ive already activated the key once, do i againnnn have to have an existing OS for my windows 7 upgrade to work, or will it work, because its been used before.

Back
Top Bottom