SSD Lifespan

kevinmuff

Solid State Member
I have read that if you keep writing things to your SSD it can fail very fast. And i have read reviews where people say their SSDs have failed after about three months!
I plan on moving my OS over to the SSD, and a couple games like Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft. I would play these games on a daily basis, but other than that, i wouldnt be doing anything with the hard drive.
Do you think it will last? Or should i be worried that ill have to buy another soon.

Id like to know the same thing. but on most you get about 3 years warrenty with them anyway. there are tweaks you can do which decrease the writes to the ssd. just google ssd tweaks.

I have read that if you keep writing things to your SSD it can fail very fast. And i have read reviews where people say their SSDs have failed after about three months!
I plan on moving my OS over to the SSD, and a couple games like Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft. I would play these games on a daily basis, but other than that, i wouldnt be doing anything with the hard drive.
Do you think it will last? Or should i be worried that ill have to buy another soon.

Where have you read those reviews? There are a lot of pages out there that show you would need to write significant amounts of data (terabytes) per day to your drive in order to kill it before its 'normal lifespan' came to an end. Granted, older SSDs may have suffered, but the situation has improved a lot since then. Things to help performance include, as celegorm stated, disabling the pagefile. You can also disable prefetch, superfetch and indexing as further steps. I did for mine, but I boot in to Windows so rarely that it's likely not going to have a major impact at present.

I don't know about the current offerings but when I bought mine the Intel SSD's were the only ones to get if you wanted them to last and be reliable. People have had these things for years with no problems. I've had the X-25M 80gb for six months with 0 problems. There may be other good brands now but the Intel is a sure bet.

Like the other poster said the only way you can wear it out is if you are continually writing huge amounts of data, reading data hurts nothing. And I wouldn't disable the pagefile on the SSD, you want to run the pagefile on the SSD for performance reasons and its not going to be writing a significant amount of data. Disabling Indexing isn't necessary either. Superfetch is debatable. Definitely don't defrag the SSD.

From Intel:
"The useful life of Intel SSDs are five years. That useful life is dependent on write cycles. The parameter being 20GB a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year for five years. In other words, if you write a quarter (25 percent) of your capacity (of an 80GB drive) for five years, it will last. If you write less than that, it will last even longer," he said."

Here's an interesting site with failure rates for SSD's and HD's by manufacturer, very recent with Intel still three times better than the competition.

French Retailer Data Offers SSD Failure Rates | News | The Mac Observer

well i read benchmarks on the net and found that the Crucial C300-CTFDDAC256MAG is the fastest SSD out there right now, so i bought it.
And on newegg, where i purchased the SSD is where i am finding the couple of bad reviews.
If it crashes though, i should be able to get a new one or get it fixed on the 3 year warranty?

I would take every review on newegg with a pinch of salt. People are much more likely to post a problem rather than to say "I have a great, working product", so the ratio of people posting possitive things to negative will not even be close to a reflection of reality. Another thing to note is that people from the egg generally are morons. Because every man and his dog gets lead there because it is such a large and reliable company, so those that know a thing or two about computers will be there, as well as your general user that is going off the advice of more knowledgable people. If you look at the reviews that the latter group of people write, they will be complaining about trivial things, or not understanding that a single failure doesn't reflect the company as a whole, and failures crop up with all manufacturers, and all of their products, it is just one of those things.

If you do get a failure with in those 3 years, which it shouldn't, hence the warranty, it will be covered, so long as it isn't a defect cause by yourself or another component in your computer, failure due to another component failure, for example your PSU going pop and frying other components, isn't covered

Back
Top Bottom