Mixing SCSI with SATA HDs

llatpoh76

Solid State Member
I am new to the forum and i apologize if this question has been asked before.

One of our computers has 3 SCSI HDs (running off a PCI SCSI controller)- One for the OS and software and the other 2 for file storage. The HD w/the OS is beginning to have some issues. Times are lean and SCSI HDs are more expensive.

The question is can I replace the SCSI, w/the OS, with an SATA (MOBO supports SATA) drive and still use the 2 SCSI drives for file storage? Will this cause a conflict?

I'm going to give a solid "maybe". Are you planning on doing a clean install or image from the original drive onto a new SATA? If you do a clean install there should not be any issues with mixing the drive types. If you do an image, I don't think there would be any issues but having never imaged a SCSI onto SATA I don't want to give you a definate "yes it will work". My guess is that i'd be just like moving from PATA to SATA and it won't be an issue.

Will be doing a clean install. Thank you for the quick response.

Now the next question is do I leave the 2 SCSI drives plugged into the controller or should I unplug them during the install?

You won't run into any problems as long as you have them set up correctly. There's no reason the two shouldn't get along. I have a couple of really old Ultra Wide 160's at home that I've used in a system with both IDE and SATA and they all play nice.

If you're worried about data corruption, or accidentally using the wrong drive, make sure that the new OS has the right drivers first, and then just take the controller board out until you're done with the install. Plug the card back in, turn the PC on again and let it install or install the drivers yourself. You should find everything in working order again.

Back
Top Bottom