Project GhettoBook (23 inch laptop)

Post for sub. Nice work so far.

Thanks.

Nice KB, got a sketch of the design?

I do, but it's pretty awful. The main point of the sketch is to keep the dimensions straight.

I've got a 3D model though. This way, I can actually test the dimensions, instead of just guessing them. It also gives me a much better idea of how it will look when complete.

top:
2010-12-09102418.jpg

back:
2010-12-09102434.jpg

side:
2010-12-09102449.jpg

lid open. Evil doggie disapproves.
2010-12-09102755.jpg

and of course, here is the obligatory comparison to a "normal" laptop.
2010-12-09102912.jpg

Got some packages today.

DVD drive faceplate:
2010-12-09145209.jpg

As you can see, it fit perfectly.

Antennas
2010-12-09220107.jpg

Wacom bamboo touch
2010-12-09220204.jpg

Spazz attack USB hub
2010-12-09220225.jpg

Surprisingly, I was able to put seven devices on the USB hub without external power, and it still didn't give me any power warnings. That'll make things a lot easier.

FFFFFFUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! I took apart the wacom tablet to get the dimensions, and now it won't work. All it does is spazz out and make random gestures when I touch it. Of course, this happens right after I void the warranty. Oh well, at least it isn't too expensive for a new one.

I'm actually more angry that it left my system like this:

2010-12-10_0040.png

How do I fix this? It's driving me crazy right now.

here is a basic explanation for the hinges. And it comes down to how easy or hard you want the lid to open.
say the height of the monitor is 12inchs, and ONE hinge is rated for 12in/lbs, this means at the very top of the screen it will take one lbs to open the lid.
so with two hinges rated at 12in/lbs each, it will take two lbs to open the lid from the top.
or two hinges at 6in/lbs will take one lbs to open the lid.... that make sense?

Got some packages today.
FFFFFFUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! I took apart the wacom tablet to get the dimensions, and now it won't work. All it does is spazz out and make random gestures when I touch it. Of course, this happens right after I void the warranty. Oh well, at least it isn't too expensive for a new one.

I'm actually more angry that it left my system like this:

2010-12-10_0040.png

How do I fix this? It's driving me crazy right now.

You can press Ctrl+0 to revert back to the standard zoom level, or Ctrl+scroll up to zoom back in.

looking nice
How much is this thing gonna weight?

Probably about 10-15 pounds. It depends on how many batteries I end up with.

here is a basic explanation for the hinges. And it comes down to how easy or hard you want the lid to open.
say the height of the monitor is 12inchs, and ONE hinge is rated for 12in/lbs, this means at the very top of the screen it will take one lbs to open the lid.
so with two hinges rated at 12in/lbs each, it will take two lbs to open the lid from the top.
or two hinges at 6in/lbs will take one lbs to open the lid.... that make sense?

Thanks. That helps a lot.

You can press Ctrl+0 to revert back to the standard zoom level, or Ctrl+scroll up to zoom back in.

Thanks.

Quick update: I didn't get any work done this weekend. I had intended to cut the acrylic, then I saw a better monitor at conns. I'm going to have to adjust dimensions for it. Model is AOC e2343F. This one is a few millimeters thinner than the ASUS, and the actual electronics are in the stand. This way, I won't have to solder like 68347593025 wires to the LCD in order to relocate it.

Oh, and it has this:
an ultra-high dynamic contrast ratio of 50,000,000:1

50 million to 1 contrast. LOL, I bet it's 1500:1 at the very most.

AOC-Launches-6-New-Ultra-Thin-LED-backlit-Monitors.jpg

4845.jpg

got that same monitor for my brothers Christmas gift looked really sharp on the instore model

Back
Top Bottom