WikiLeaks

Like it or not, WikiLeaks is a press outlet, and thus should be protected by the first amendment. Lovell v. City of Griffin defined a press outlet as "every sort of publication which affords a vehicle of information and opinion."

I don't personally agree with what they are doing, but I don't think they should be stopped.

Can you post a link to the law that states this? From what I've read, the only person doing anything illegal is whoever leaked them to WikiLeaks.

But if wikileaks is releasing confidential information, it's illegal for them as well. It's like stolen property. If you buy a stolen car, no matter whether you knew it was stolen or not, you are liable for the stolen property. In this case, the property is just information.

It's a touchy subject because the information leaked poses a threat to national security. Spreading the word only increases this threat. The U.S. government has reason to stop this.

But if wikileaks is releasing confidential information, it's illegal for them as well. It's like stolen property. If you buy a stolen car, no matter whether you knew it was stolen or not, you are liable for the stolen property. In this case, the property is just information.

If that were the case, then if I quoted one of the articles right now, then I would also be breaking the law. It doesn't work that way, or else journalism wouldn't be able to exist.

It's a touchy subject because the information leaked poses a threat to national security. Spreading the word only increases this threat. The U.S. government has reason to stop this.

The pentagon stated that there has been no fallout from the leaks. All it really did was make some people look stupid.

There hasn't be repercussions...yet. That list I mentioned...you think Al-Qaeda or the like aren't taking a hard look at it? Of course they are. They're not stupid. They have access to the internet. They have resources. You bet they are considering any possibilities that seems like it would be worth the effort.

Okay, been doing more reading. Here's what I found:

18 U.S.C. § 793 said:
(c) Whoever, for the purpose aforesaid, receives or obtains or
agrees or attempts to receive or obtain from any person, or from
any source whatever, any document, writing, code book, signal book,
sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map,
model, instrument, appliance, or note, of anything connected with
the national defense, knowing or having reason to believe, at the
time he receives or obtains, or agrees or attempts to receive or
obtain it, that it has been or will be obtained, taken, made, or
disposed of by any person contrary to the provisions of this
chapter;

They are clearly in violation of this law, but so are a few hundred other people at the various newspapers that helped handle the documents. Whether or not the press is exempted from this by the first amendment, I really cannot say, but I have a feeling this'll go to the supreme court if anyone is tried.

It will have monumental impacts on the first amendment should it go to the supreme court. Let's hope it doesn't for the sake of simplicity and argument.

We do NOT need to know about some of the military operations that have been carried out. Sure they are rough and not pleasant, but that's war, you have to play dirty.

America is not at war.

-just sayin'

(you'd need a declaration of war to be at war).

They just posted a list of the most crucial places outside of the U.S. for its government. This website is unbelievable. Completely irresponsible.
have you actually read the list???

lets see, what's on the list? Colbalt mines -that supply critical industry.
nuclear facilities, -critical industries
landing points of undersea comms links. -communications

All these things are A) really really really obvious, B) already common knowledge.

one of the sites listed is an anti venom plant in Australia, lets see, the US perform operations all over the world -including where there are poisonous snakes, ergo, the availability of venom antidotes is critical to the army's operation, no anti venom = no ability to deploy in those areas.

To say that he's posted critical top secret classified information is pretty much nothing short of a lie.

other cables include describing silvio berlesconi as a bit of a ladies man, a man who's been on TV basically saying as much.
Vladimir putin fancies himself as the alpha dog
we're talking about the guy who had this photo taken of himself
imgres

so in short, yes, he really really fancies himself as a bit of an alpha dog.

also, the British government is paranoid about it's "special relationship" with the US, something that was in the news pretty much all the time shortly after Obama was elected.

in further news the pope is a catholic, and when caught short a bear will indeed shit in the woods.

It will have monumental impacts on the first amendment should it go to the supreme court. Let's hope it doesn't for the sake of simplicity and argument.

it'll have no impact on the first amendment at all.

it's like how free speech is protected, yelling fire in a crowded theatre will land you in trouble. there are laws that stop you slandering a person, that's only speaking.

the most damming thing in all of the released memos are the ones regarding dropping bombs in Yemen, where there is proof that the US has been dropping bombs in the country with permission of the government, but it's been covered up by the Yemen government claiming responsibility, to avoid civil unrest in the country that the government would allow the US to bomb it's citizens...

to say that papers can't publish what they are reading online is also false, the papers are editing what's written and redacting certain information.

Wiki leaks is not, (so basically it's not sensible disclosure).

America is not at war.

-just sayin'

(you'd need a declaration of war to be at war).
We're not at war officially, but that doesn't mean there are no military operations going on. Iraq, Afgan, South Korea... many more.

Back
Top Bottom