Backup an OS!

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, by creating a system repair disk is this the same as doing a system restore.

Because i dont want system restore enabled on my ssd, so if something goes wrong with my system, instead of using system restore, could i just use the disk?

i always backup my OS by using nortan ghost, this program basically clones your entire hard-drive

Yeah, Ghost (or an equivalent hard drive imaging application) would be the best way to go. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but system repair disks only fix certain operating system files and do nothing as far as your personal data goes.

Initially, i wanted to turn system restore off on my ssd, and enable it on my normal hard drive, but i beleive this wouldnt backup my ssd, would it?

So, if i have my D drive set up for system restore, would it also protect my OS on the C drive? :)

I would assume since you have to enable/disable system restore on a per drive basis, then you have to explicitly enable any drive you want to have backed up.

I beleive that if i create a windows backup which also creates an image, i think i would be able to do a restore from this by going on "restore files from backup" on windows 7.

Which means i will be safe by disabling system restore as i will have some point to restore to.

New question:

I have made an image on my external hdd, is it ok that the hdd has other documents on it other than the image, will it still work?

I would say to use Acronis TrueImage Home edition. It's simple enough to use, and it is one powerful program that I trust.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have made an image on my external hdd, is it ok that the hdd has other documents on it other than the image, will it still work?

Other than the image...you mean that it has documents as well as the image file, or you don't see the image file at all?

Thats right, i mean the external drive has the image folder PLUS some installed programs/documents and this and that.

Back
Top Bottom