$300

Why is it that people think they need such large wattage PSU's? A buddy of mine has a PentiumD, GeForce 9800GTX, 4GB ram, 5400RPM HDD and a 1100 WATT PSU LOL

300 should suffice the setup as shown. Dont over do the wattage, besides it'll save you some cash!

lol 1100w i do believe is ridiculous, and I have seen alot of machines with psu that is over 500w, my computer was 2.5ghz dual core, 3gb ram, 256mb graphics (so the card wasn't even that much) 1 80gb sata II Hdd, 1 dvd rom, 2 case fans and a 500w PSU. I decided to buy a second HHD 500gb Sata II, plugged it in made sure it was connected properly before turning on. Turn the computer on I had to press the button 5 times to finally get to power up. I upgraded t a 750w, No drama it now works. (you are probably thinking faulty PSU) Wrong! I plugged the 500w in my older machine that is only a single core 2.8ghz, 512 mb ram, 64 mb graphics, 2 IDE HDD's and 2 case fans and it is working fine.

So from my experience you got to understand why I think 300W is not the go with modern technology.

I would go with what foothead mentioned. You can't really go cheaper for a gaming machine...having it all under 300 wouldn't be possible, providing you want all the stuff new.

lol 1100w i do believe is ridiculous, and I have seen alot of machines with psu that is over 500w, my computer was 2.5ghz dual core, 3gb ram, 256mb graphics (so the card wasn't even that much) 1 80gb sata II Hdd, 1 dvd rom, 2 case fans and a 500w PSU. I decided to buy a second HHD 500gb Sata II, plugged it in made sure it was connected properly before turning on. Turn the computer on I had to press the button 5 times to finally get to power up. I upgraded t a 750w, No drama it now works. (you are probably thinking faulty PSU) Wrong! I plugged the 500w in my older machine that is only a single core 2.8ghz, 512 mb ram, 64 mb graphics, 2 IDE HDD's and 2 case fans and it is working fine.

So from my experience you got to understand why I think 300W is not the go with modern technology.

Post the make and model of your 500W PSU, or the 12V amperage. I'm willing to bet it wasn't actually 500W.

Post the make and model of your 500W PSU, or the 12V amperage. I'm willing to bet it wasn't actually 500W.

Well companies shouldn't advertise 500w psu if it is not actually 500, and I remember the site not saying anything about actual wattage or peak wattage.

Well companies shouldn't advertise 500w psu if it is not actually 500, and I remember the site not saying anything about actual wattage or peak wattage.
I think he is saying you remember wrong. Either way, if it work in the old rig, it still could be defective and just not be able to pump out the advertised wattage.

I think he is saying you remember wrong. Either way, if it work in the old rig, it still could be defective and just not be able to pump out the advertised wattage.

No, I'm saying it was most likely one of those ones that says 500W, but only has like 8 amps on the 12 volt rail. My brother had one of those (rated at 580 watts) in his computer, and it blew up with less than 300W actual draw.

No, I'm saying it was most likely one of those ones that says 500W, but only has like 8 amps on the 12 volt rail. My brother had one of those (rated at 580 watts) in his computer, and it blew up with less than 300W actual draw.

Fair enough then.

Back
Top Bottom