Anyone Have the Alienware Aurora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im only against ATI because one of my laptops has only had driver problems with the ati cards, never had a problem with nvidia.
and thanks for all the comments "nice rig" lol

Their moble drivers are pretty crappy but their main-stream drivers are typically better (ignoring the occasional bad release that every company has)

ATI are a lot cheaper, and have been producing better cards recently.
I'm no fan boy. I have a Nvidia card in at the moment, but how things have been going, it'd be ATI next, like the 9800 PRO before this one.

You won't find many people on here with an Alienware. Most people who can afford to spend that much on a rig, would build their own :p
It looks nice though, thats for sure

That cooler I believe is a Corsair, and I've heard good things about that, as its one closed unit loop, so doesn't take much to prepare.
Pretty much. Loved (and still love) my GTS250, but there was just no way in hell I would buy one of those GTX4XX cards. I love how people try to say the comparisons aren't fair, because you're comparing dual GPU cards to single GPU cards, but yet they totally disregard the price factor... :rolleyes:

And yeah, agreed on that point as well. Pretty much anyone here would build their own regardless of budget.

I have almost the same rig. I usually build my systems but this one was around the same price as new egg. The case is too cool and I use to love the X files so the Alien theme fits.

I don't have a beef with ATI or nvidia have both types in my other rigs. The 5870 is just better tech that 2x n260s. and it draws less power, produces less heat. But I understand you had an issue in the past.

I have the i7 920. It overclocks wells. Set the bus at 166x 20 turn off HT (saves 7 deg C) leave intel turbo mode on. It will save power while surfing by lowering multiplier and vcore. During gaming it ramps up to 22x mult 3,6Gz and about 64c temp. It idles at 39c.

The fans are nice that you can set them up to turn on or off at any temp you like. So if you think the case is loud you can set them back till you think it sounds ok.

The video cards or at least ATI are set to run at 80c before doing much fan increase. they run at like 20%. I set them to run 30% and 50% past 80.
Was able to get temps down to 65 and not much more noise.

I get 7.9 graphics and ram in win 7 64. 7.6 in cpu and only 5.9 for hard drive performance.

Download MSI afterburner software for great control of you video card fans and overclocking. Its really a nice app for any card.

Your vcore range is 0.8v to 1.375 (intel specs)
qpi is 1.35v max
keep qpi under 4000 mhz (8 GT/sec) really qpi speed does not impact performance much. mines at 3000mhz (default 2200)

I'd leave the speed step on. mine ranges from 14x mult to 22x gaming.

3.33-3.5 is good oc and seems to be the most efficient in terms of performances and power draw.

I like the computer more than I thought I would. Alienware is not like by many system builders, but they converted this one. I'd buy it again.

Only problem I have is I get noise from the front audio jack. Its interference from the HDs and vid card. Either falty cable or Alienware got cheap and did not use shielded front audio cables.

They are sending a rep to my house to replace the panel. It will be a waste of time if its a manufacturing mistake in which all the cables are unshielded.

If your computers out of warranty and you have the front audio issue (many Antec cases have it) you can buy shielded cables or sleeves. You can even wrap the cable in tin foil to fix.

In case you did not have windows 7 64 bit before. Some games will not run.
If its a steam game you need to find the games .exe file located in the steamapps folder. Right click on it and choose properties. Then set it to Vista SP2 compatibility mode. That usually gets the game to run.

ie.

Valve games need this
Crysis 1 - only the 32 bit exe works the 64 bit one is glitched. set it to vista sp2

Crysis Warhead - the 64 bit exe file will run without modification in win 7.

To test you system get real temp 3.4 it has a nice bench that uses prime 95 and monitors your cpus during test and gives results on how close you got to max temp.

The MSI program is good for doing the same with you video card. It will show fan speed and gpu temps during the bench. So you can find the lowest fan speed that will keep the processor at what ever temp you like.

I don't want my cpus over 70c and my graphics card over 80c at load.

I have not messed with the water cooling pump speed. I did notice that the radiator on the back of the PC does not have a fan in front of it. Maybe a front fan pushes air through it. Not sure have to take a look.

Oh yea they added a case feature that I have always wanted. A light on the back of the case to illuminate the usb, firewire etc. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the floor looking a PC in a dark room and no flashlight. The lights on a timer, it turns off in a few min.

The case lighting is really nice, the best I have had. Its a frill one that I probably would not do if I built my own but its included and actually kind of cool. Sort of like getting a car loaded with leather seats.

I have Crysis and Warhead, both on my steam account. They work for me under XP 32bit, Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit, and Win7 64bit. No clue what you're talking about.

Steam eventually fixes glitches in games at the time there was a known issue with those games. Time passes and Steam sends a patch without you even being aware of it.

Good to know you did not have to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom