Need help buying a computer for use with Adobe Indesign CS5

jolo

Beta member
I am beginning in Graphics design and need to purchase Adobe Indesign Cs5 for a class. I am trying to shop for a laptop too. Went to Best Buy and the rep there said whatever I decide to make sure it is an 4G memory, i7 Processor and has NVIDIA. Now I am not the best at understanding what I need to have exactly, but I read the system requirements for Indesign and it specifies Intel Pentium 4, 1G Ram, but does not say anything about the graphics.

So, what should I buy? Do I need an i7 processor or can I go with i5. Also, does it have to be NVIDIA or can I have a system with Intel HD Graphics, or Intel Integrated graphics, or Radeon. I am thinking best buy is trying to get me in one for gaming...but, I'm not too educated on the issue, so I really do not know. I am not going to be gaming, I am only going to be using this for the graphic design classes............will have to purchase indesign, photoshop and others down the road.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/systemreqs/
* Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
* Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended); Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1; or Windows 7
* 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)
* 1.6GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
* 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
* DVD-ROM drive
* Adobe® Flash® Player 10 software required to export SWF files
* Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

No you do not need a i7 or 4gig of Ram..or a insane video card.

Those are probably the minimum requirements so anything better than that, will run Cs5 a lot smoother.

what I mean is this: if you were to use the minimum requirements you could only run that program and it would be a little laggy or choppy. The more you dump into the system, like an i7 and 4 gig of ram would run it a lot smoother while running other programs and applications (if you are into that)

However, I am going to make a suggestion that I don't like.

Get a Mac. Macs are more suited for Graphic design/video design/ and audio production.

I'm a PC guy through and through. But if you want a laptop that is strictly for Graphic Design, go with a mac.

Thanks for the advice. I am hearing a mac is good......was trying to stay away from them as I am a PC too!

I just did not think I was going to need the high end of everything as in i7 and NVIDIA, but wanted to make sure lesser things will work. I am going to end up with photoshop, indesign and things of that nature by the time my classes are finished and I want whatever I get to handle all of them.

I will say, a better machine is never going to hurt you, and will have more longevity to them..

Really, you need to come up with a budget.

The cheapest mac is going to be a little less then 1k.

A decent PC laptop will run you in the 500$...

So if your budget is 800$ get a higher end laptop.

To be honest, it would be hard to find a laptop that wouldn't run Cs5 so its all about how much you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom