DSLR in the $500-750 Range

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Hi guys. I'm hoping to see some of the people who are decent hobby photographers at least make a brief appearance in this thread. I know Cabbs did some photo stuff, as did Neo.

Anyways, my mom and I really want to get my dad a DSLR because my uncle has one and my dad has wanted one ever since he saw it. He knows nothing about cameras, but that's fine, because I want the camera as well to do some hobby photography. So, therefore, there is a big price range. My mom originally wanted to stick ~$500, but since I want to use it for entry level hobby photography, I figured I'd tack on an extra $250 to that budget to get something even better.

I know almost nothing about DSLRs as far as what to look for. I know that I want one with the ability to change lenses--but that is almost all of them. The only brands I'm familiar with are Canon and Nikon. Nikon seems to hold value more (from what I've seen--if this is incorrect, please correct me), so I've been leaning that way. But the Rebel series from Canon has seemed decent from a few reviews I've seen.

Ideally, I'd like to get this in the next couple of weeks in time to test it out for Christmas and all that good stuff so we can get it wrapped as a present for him.

Thanks guys!

I Just bought my father a Nikon D3000 with the Kit lense and he loves it, though two things this camera is missing are Live Previews and a Movie Mode (I'm pretty sure the newly release Nikon D3100 has these features.) I've noticed that the D3000 is VERY Easy to use as far as the layout goes and menu system, i would highly recomend it as a beginners camera.

I Myself will be eventually getting a Canon 550D (Rebel T2i) as it has the feature set im after. I Too am still a n00b when it comes to camera's so i can't really explain what to look for when it comes to camera shopping, but the 2 i have recomended here have been highly recomended and i have used both. If you want i can post some example photo's from the D3000.

Now, I don't want to sound stupid, but isn't there a big difference in quality between 10MP and 18MP? Especially if I work with photoshop on images? Also--enlighten me as to what live preview is? Is that just where the screen shows what picture is going to be taken (instead of looking in the view finder?)

I Don't think there would a noticeable quality jump unless you are printing your images into large prints (Correct me if im wrong here) and yes, instead of looking through the viewfinder to see whats going on, live preview allows you to just look at the screen and should also give you a rough draft of what the photo will look like with your current camera settings.

To be honest, print size will be a factor in this. I want to get to the point where I can make 8x12 or larger images and matte them. Also, maybe this is incorrect now since MP's have gotten so huge, but it's easier to work with a larger image vs smaller. You can always subtract from, but never add to it. I'm really liking that Rebel you posted Neo. Really, really liking it. It seems like it's a nice mix between beginner and intermediate-level. I have ruled out the D3000 I think, but I have started looking at the D3100 in comparison to the Canon.

Thanks for the help so far, Neo. I just really needed a place to start.

Great. I've also read (dunno if it's true) that Nikon lenses fit the Canon, but not vice-versa. So that's a plus, as well. Again, that's for the help, mate. Maybe dropping $800 big ones on a camera will get my interests sparked and I can maybe get some artwork going to sell.

Back
Top Bottom