New computer old hardware vs. new. which is better?

hirowhite

Solid State Member
I'm getting a new computer (the one I'm using is about five years old) and need help as to how the hardware compares with a new one I'm getting. I don't know what the technical things mean.

I don't use it for gaming. I use it for regular use. I often have several windows open at once though.

I'm switching from quad core to dual core and am a little worried that the dual core will be slower.

Will I notice the difference from DDR 3 from DDR 2 RAM?

What about an Intel Core i5-650 dual-core processor vs. Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600?

How about 3.2Ghz vs 2.4GHz?

what is an i5-650 processor?

L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache vs. 2x4MB L2 Cache? Is the difference between cache important?

Is the upgrade significant? Will I notice a difference?

Here are my old and new computer specs in case you want to see.

Old comp:

Intel ® Viiv™ Processor Technology with an Intel ® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600
• 2.40GHz, 2x4MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz Front Side Bus, Intel ® P965 Express Chipset, 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance, DDR2-SDRAM memory type, 4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) memory slots, 640GB (2x320GB) HD

My new computer:

HP Pavilion p6680t series: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i5-650 dual-core processor [3.2Ghz, 512KB, L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache, DMI 2.5GT/s, 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs], 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive, Intel HD Graphics [VGA], 16x max DVD/RW SuperMulti drive, TV tuner ATSC-NTSC with PVR.

Thank you, Brad

Is it possible for you to run benchmark tests on the new computer and compare the results with your old one?

Are you buying the new computer, or getting it as a gift?

Then if you can, run benchmark software on each and compare the results, or if you are running Vista on them, right click on Computer and select properties and look for the Windows Experience Index under ratings. It may not be the best way to compare the two computers, but it should give you some idea of the differences.

To answer you question:

Yes you will notice the difference in some applications. Others you won't like browsing the net it won't show a big difference.

The key here is the longevity of the new computer. This new computer will more likely outlast the old one.

If it's a gift, and they're already set on giving it, then yeah, go for it, but don't expect across the board increases. That way, if it DOES have those, you'll be surprised. ;)

Back
Top Bottom