Random Chit Chat

Hmmm... could I use a desktop SATA HDD in a laptop? The interface is exactly the same but I'm a bit worried it'll draw too much current and mess something up.

We just got some epic spam.

a spammer said:
Apple's launch of the iPhone 4 has seen the greatest excitement for a new phone ever - and with HD video recording, a perfect screen and ridiculously slim dimensions, it's not hard to see why.
If you're an iPhone fan, there's a good chance you won't like the look of the iPhone the first time you pick it up - it's the same weight as the iPhone 3GS at 137g, but it's a lot smaller, with dimensions of 115.2mm x58.6 mm x 9.3mm, so it feels like a much weightier and compact model.
The edges are stainless steel, apparently forged by winged unicorns in an iceberg (or something) to be 10 times stronger than 'normal' steel.

Lol, apple's ridiculous marketing claims...

Why does hp/compaq have to make these side panels so hard to get back on. I was working on a persons computer and am replacing a broken dvd drive but the side panel is giving me nothing but trouble going back on. IT is fairly new with a pentium dual core e2200 but I do not know the model number exactly right now but it is one of those backwards cases BTX I think they're called and has a single thumb screw that doesn't detach from the side panel.

Gah! this is so annoying.

But at least I am making decent money doing these things

Why does hp/compaq have to make these side panels so hard to get back on. I was working on a persons computer and am replacing a broken dvd drive but the side panel is giving me nothing but trouble going back on. IT is fairly new with a pentium dual core e2200 but I do not know the model number exactly right now but it is one of those backwards cases BTX I think they're called and has a single thumb screw that doesn't detach from the side panel.

I've got a compaq like that. I ended up using a pair of vice grips to get the thumb screw out, then I drilled the hole slightly larger with a dremel. It's so much easier to work on now.

So what kind of freaking computer is this cooling fan for then?

Bahaha. You should buy that and put it in an ITX case.

Getting it off wasn't a problem. Getting it back on properly is though I can't seem to get all the grooves to line up. Whenever I get one side properly in its groove the others pop out and refuse to get in their grooves. Right now this person is dealing with a computer with a big gap in the front and a crooked side panel that is 2/3 put on right. I am waiting for the replacement dvd drive to arrive

Getting it off wasn't a problem. Getting it back on properly is though I can't seem to get all the grooves to line up. Whenever I get one side properly in its groove the others pop out and refuse to get in their grooves. Right now this person is dealing with a computer with a big gap in the front and a crooked side panel that is 2/3 put on right. I am waiting for the replacement dvd drive to arrive

Oh, you mean the grooves in the side. I usually lie the computer down, then lean on the side panel while pushing forward. It takes a couple tries, but I can usually get it.

EDIT: Are laptop optical drive faceplates standard? I need a more square one and would rather not buy a whole new drive.

EDIT: Are laptop optical drive faceplates standard? I need a more square one and would rather not buy a whole new drive.

I'm pretty sure they aren't I have seen 3 laptops over the course of today and they all appear to be slightly different. At least for different brands

I'm pretty sure they aren't I have seen 3 laptops over the course of today and they all appear to be slightly different. At least for different brands

Darn. I was looking at one, and the button, light, and hole all looked to have the same placement as my drive, so I was kinda hoping. I'll probably try it anyway though, because it could save me like $20 if it works.

Back
Top Bottom