Random Chit Chat

Let's see you design something better.

Oh wait...

Seriously, what the hell? I've had to fix the damned thing more times than I can count, including three times in the past week. It seems to always have something stupid wrong with it due to poor design. Since you probably think I'm just making this crap up because I hate apple for no reason whatsoever, I'll make a list of design/manufacturing flaws that there is simply no excuse for.

The power cable is made of extremely brittle wire, causing it to break quickly. I'm on my seecond AC adapter because of this, and this one I've had to cut down and re-solder three times so far.

The slot load drive is overcomplicated as hell, and thus is extremely prone to failure. My first and second drives both became misaligned and rattled the discs, and the third one just froze up thinking there is a disc inside when there isn't.

The solder used under the gpu comes desoldered over time. It happened to my friend's iBook too, and after googling, I discovered that it is extremely common.

The rubber flex section (no idea what to call it) at the very end of the power cord is much too small, and it rauses the wire to kink.

The power tip is ridiculous. I really can't describe it any other way. They used a three segment audio connection inside a metal jacket instead of something standard. It's a male connector too, so it's possible to get shocked with it (happened to me a time or two) but it also breaks easily. Ususally, they fall off when they break which isn't really a problem but it occasionally gets stuck in the computer like what happened to me.

As far as designing a better laptop, I don't have to. Any POS dell won't have these problems. I actually have a seven year old toshiba which hasn't given me one hardware issue since I bought it. The reason this happens to apple computers is because they like to change things as much as possible to differentiate from the competition. They come up with a lot of great things this way, but they really shouldn't be fixing what ain't broke.

sorry for typos, I typed this up on my phone because I am without a computer till I get home tomorrow.

EDIT: Say whatever you will, but there is absolutely no reason to argue this point any further. The point is that my computer broke and nothing your or I say will change that.

Not bad for a free case. Next time you upgrade your system stick your old parts in it for a backup gaming rig.

I'm probably going to be replacing my Antec Quattro 850 power supply pretty soon. I want something quiet, 80mm fans are not good at that while moving a reasonable amount of air.

I'm most likely going to upgrade this week (black friday) since I want to switch to DDR3. Then I'll have enough parts for a back-up build. It'll be a pretty good rig too. Athlon X2 3.0Ghz, 4GB DDR2 800 and an 8800GTS 512mb. All of this stuff was top of the line like 3 years ago lol. And yeah, 80mm is pretty weak for a PSU exhaust fan. My old Silverstone (which cost a fortune) was super loud since it only had an 80mm fan.

I'm most likely going to upgrade this week (black friday) since I want to switch to DDR3. Then I'll have enough parts for a back-up build. It'll be a pretty good rig too. Athlon X2 3.0Ghz, 4GB DDR2 800 and an 8800GTS 512mb. All of this stuff was top of the line like 3 years ago lol. And yeah, 80mm is pretty weak for a PSU exhaust fan. My old Silverstone (which cost a fortune) was super loud since it only had an 80mm fan.

Sounds like it would make a pretty good setup. I'd like to upgrade my rig, but I can't justify it when it runs the games I play perfectly fine. Going for noise reduction right now.

So much for RAID 0, it crashed within a day. Good thing the only thing on it was installed games. Though it sucks I gotta reinstall all my games again...

Oh well, I guess I will do my monthly windows reinstall now.

I ran a RAID 0 array for a bit. It was back when I had my 939 Athlon 3500+. Gave a nice little performance boost, but I never set it back up because it was annoying to do so.

Does anyone know any benchmarking software for both Windows and OSX? Someone is claiming that their i3 iMac runs Microsoft applications, under Bootcamp, 20% faster than a Windows machine....

Does anyone know any benchmarking software for both Windows and OSX? Someone is claiming that their i3 iMac runs Microsoft applications, under Bootcamp, 20% faster than a Windows machine....

if its under bootcamp then hes already booting into a windows partition. use the same benches. I'd use superpi 3dmark06 to show him how much his graphics card sucks

if its under bootcamp then hes already booting into a windows partition. use the same benches. I'd use superpi 3dmark06 to show him how much his graphics card sucks

I see. I wasn't sure how bootcamp works.

Ok. I'll recommend a few benchies to him. I gotta be careful though. Although i'm running an i7 compared to his i3 i'm running a (meh!) 9500GT, i've been spending my money on other things.

what does he have? can you borrow a card off of anyone?

The lowest spec for the iMac's is a HD4670 which eats my 9500GT! And my mates don't know the first thing about computers let alone GPU's. They're running on-board GPU's.

My next purchase has to be a HD4890.

Back
Top Bottom