No more POST :(

nehalem2050

Solid State Member
Ok so get this. I built my first computer in the beginning of August. Did tons of research to make sure everything I got would work fine. Get it all up and running and what do you know, works great! Then, 3 months down the line, I'm watching a movie and about 10 min in video shuts down. No more picture at all. Here's what I've got.

MSI 870A-G54 Motherboard
8 GB CORSAIR DDR3 1600 RAM
AMD PHENOM II X4 3.4 GHZ PROCESSOR
600W EAGLETEC POWER SUPPLY
ATI HD4670 VIDEO CARD

Unfortunately, there's no on board video with this mobo so I had a tough time figuring out if it was the card, the mobo, or the power supply. I tried an ancient video card we happened to find and got no response. Figured it had to be the mobo. Sent the mobo to MSI, 3 weeks later I get it back and nothing has changed. So its gotta be the video card, right?

Does the computer turn on? I'd try a power supply first if you have one sitting around.

It does turn on gets SATA power cause my optical drive opens and the leds come on and show the processor is working. Just no post. Not sure why. Taking the whole system to micro center to have them trouble shoot it. I can't figure out what's wrong.

600W EAGLETEC POWER SUPPLY

Considering I've never heard of this brand before, that's not a good sign. You have got to buy a good high quality power supply for computers these days. How much did you spend on this power supply? Also, how heavy was it?

Its actually 600W OCZ. I had the Eagletec in my hand since it was cheaper but went with better quality. Its not the power supply, that I'm sure of.

OCZ has questionable quality lately too I've heard, but YMMV.

If you've had the motherboard swapped already, my attention would indeed turn to the video card, but you said you tried another card and that didn't work either.

I'd pull the system out of the case, set the board up on the motherboard's cardboard box (you won't hurt it) and try running the system with just the essentials - CPU, RAM, Video, and a monitor connected to it. See if you can get it to turn on at all. If not, it's very rarely the CPU, but you never know. Give that a shot and let us know what you find out.

So results just came back from Micro Center Diag. The motherboard has a bad memory channel. So I guess MSI sent me back a bad motherboard... Can't wait to give hell to their customer service. :mad:

i remember my 550w couldn't take power on my computer and I had 2 sata II hardrives, graphics card, and 5 fans. I bought a 750w power supply and it ran fine

Back
Top Bottom