USB 3.0/SATA 6gb/s Bottleneck?

Johnh

Baseband Member
Hello,

I recently built a new machine, and got a WD black edition HDD (6gb/s) Which is attached to an asus p6x58d premium mb through the standard sata port. When i tried hooking it up to the SATA 6gb/s port it did not work. It wasn't a huge deal up until now when i got a WD mybook with usb 3.0. I'm transferring files, and because it's usb 3.0 it should be in the 4gb/s range? but the highest i've seen is around 42mb/s. Could the bottle neck be with the hd sata port? I am running Windows 7 by the way.

If so what would you suggest to solve it? (ie. make it work on the SATA 6gb/s port)

If that doesnt sound like the bottleneck, what else could it possibly be?

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!

If you have any questions just let me know

John

Standard platter based drives cannot saturate even a 3Gbps SATA port, so you're not losing anything by using it on the "slower" port. It is possible that you didn't have the drivers installed for the SATA 6gb ports, which aren't native on a lot of boards right now (i.e. they need drivers to properly function first). Intel boards are really bad about this, but I've seen some AMD boards do it too.

42Mb/sec or 42MB/sec? There is a difference. Also, how did you find out that score? I recommend HDTune for Windows Vista and Windows 7 testing, the results are generally widely accepted as the norm.

Assuming your benchmark results are still low, make sure you're using the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, and not the ones that install by Windows own hand. If you have the CD for the motherboard, that's an OK place to start, but I'd look on the maker's website to find updated drivers, or if you know what the chipset is, going right to the source.

Alright! Thanks a lot! I'm currently out of town, so I don't have access to my desktop pc, but i'll definitely check those things when i get back.

If anybody else has suggestions please let me know!!

Back
Top Bottom