Windows 7 Admin problems

Stooney2

Beta member
Hey all, noob here. Im having administrator issues with a computer of mine. A little backround: the other day I lost everything, internet pc and phone. Yay comcast!:mad: Anyway, my service has been restored and all is fine with my new computer but my old computer no longer recognizes me as an administrator. When I try to accomplish mundane tasks like uninstall a program I get "you dont have sufficient access" popups. I tried to troubleshoot my internet connection which by the way is not working and I get a popup saying "troubleshooting wizzard can't continue". Ive heard of hidden admin accounts so after some digging on the net I tried disabling (the hidden admin) via cmd prompt but I get an error message when I try to do so. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Welcome to CF!

Do you have the ability to log in as the Administrator account?

You may not be able to do the below steps, but give it a whirl:
Click on Start, then right click on Computer and click Manage. In the snap in, go to Users and Groups on the left pane and then open the Users folder. Double click on the Administrator account and uncheck "This account is disabled".

If the above didn't work:
Click start, All programs, Accessories, then right click on the command prompt and select Run As Administrator. Type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Now:
Login as the administrator and go to Start, then click on the Profile picture and when the User Account settings snap in loads, click on Manage another account. Select your account and change account type to administrator.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried to manage my account with your directions from the start menu but got the same old tired message:

Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I tried the cmd prompt and this is the message I got:

user name cannot be found

more help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2221.

I typed this into the cmd prompt but am clueless as to where to go from here

I tried the cmd prompt and this is the message I got:

user name cannot be found

No bueno, but that's probably just because you currently don't have the access to view it.

Anyway, next you'll need the Windows 7 DVD. Insert it, boot up, select English and choose "Repair your computer". Select command prompt.

Then again, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Reboot and login as administrator.

Thanks a ton for your help. I just decided to wipe the computer and reinstall windows. Seemed like the easiest option.

Back
Top Bottom