Random Chit Chat

Gotta love this forum. Why? Because when I need to find information on my old parts, I just search the topics I made when I was first here.

A Toshiba Satellite in the A series. Mines a few years old, so I don't know the current best model, but it still runs snappily.

Yeah i second this notion, im currently using my Satellite Pro A210 and it's still going strong! For the budget consious you can't go past this Toshiba, but i also like this Lenovo, I've ordered 2 of these for customers and they are fantastic!

On another note! Aunty Bandwidth seems to be very generous lately but her generousity runs out in december! Pity uncle torrence hasn't got anything i need, what have you guys gotten from your uncle lately?

I'm thinking of trying out eyefinity. However, I don't have 2 monitors. I am trying to find another monitor where it's resolution is 1680x1050, and around the 20" monitor. Anybody know where I can find one for around $50 used/refurbished? I'm sure this is almost impossible, but just asking.

anyone here have the new need for speed? I'm on the fence on getting it. On one hand I love burnout paradise (best game ever made IMO) and its made by the same developer. On the other hand I think that I may be disappointed by it.
It looks awesome. I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail, but NFS going back to its roots is definitely a good thing.

When we defrag, they move the data to the outer platter right? Where disk access is the fastest?

If so, if I were to create an data partition on my primary OS HDD, then does that mean all the files I put in that "data partition" would be on the inner platter and should not get any performance loss or gain (or very minimal)?

When we defrag, they move the data to the outer platter right? Where disk access is the fastest?

If so, if I were to create an data partition on my primary OS HDD, then does that mean all the files I put in that "data partition" would be on the inner platter and should not get any performance loss or gain (or very minimal)?

The data on the HardDrive starts on the outside of the platter, not the outer platter. All the platters are written to simultaneously to improve read/write times. If you did make a Data partition, it would be located somewhere after the first few outside tracks (moving inward) as that's where the OS and your existing data is stored (after a proper defrag that is...). IMO there's wouldn't really be a performance difference, maybe a split second, from making a data partition on the primary HD.

Well, I was asking more of an single platter HDD. Kinda forgot that some HDD has more than one platter as all my HDD only has 1.

I just can't wait for my new graphics card... Just the thought of finally being able to max most of my games, even if it can't fully max Crysis... It'll be almost as if I'd be playing brand new games :D

Yeah, its freaking awesome when you get a new graphics card and be able to play the games you are already playing in high settings. Its like a whole new game.

I got bored, so I am going to divide my 500GB (my primary) into 3 partitions (OS (100GB), Back-Up (113GB), Back-Up 2 (250GB)). Then setup RAID 0 with my 120GB and 200GB, and install all my games in it. I know the space difference is pretty big, but I wanna check out RAID 0.

EDIT - I resurrected one of my old PC. However, I do not know what to do with it. It has an P4 (775) clocked at 2.66GHz, 768MB DDR, 7300LE PCI-E, and a 40GB IDE drive.

Back
Top Bottom