Brand new High Spec PC Runs slow on logon and boot-up

andy1027

In Runtime
The PC I keep downstairs is faster than the one than upstairs (Build details in signature)

The build details for the PC downstairs are as follows:
AMD Phenom X4 3.2GHz
Crucial 4GB DDR2 RAM
Corsair 650W PSU Modular
Windows 7 Professional (Genuine 64Bit)
Gigabyte MA790X-UD3P
XFX ATI RADEON HD 4870 512MB
Seagate Barracuda (somthing) 1TB 7200RPM HDD

As I say the spec for the pc upstairs is in my "signature"

People have been saying before that it is possibly the hard drive on the machine upstairs that slows it down, but when I go online and look at the reviews people are saying that it is an excellent hard drive. So I am not sure.... I really cannot wait to find the answer to my problem.

The machine downstairs is faster at logging on and starting up than the one upstairs which is a bit wrong considering the spec of the one upstairs

Thanks folks and ask any questions that you need to ask me relating to this problem
:)

Depending on what is stored on the computer and what software is installed, the boot up process can differ a little bit.

I know that but this is no ordinary slow boot up thing, you see whenever It is fully booted up everything runs fast, but its the 40second logins and the rather longish than normal boot ups is what the problem is

There is not an awful lot of space taken up on the computer, both PCS are more or less the same

Please help...
Thanks

How much of a difference in login times are we talking here? 40 seconds sounds about right to me, even my i7 920 & 40 GB SSD here at work takes about 30 seconds to completely start up and get to the login. It sounds like you're fretting over something pretty unsubstantial, to be honest. If the system performs as it should once its up and running, then why worry about it?

You can run things like HDTune and make sure that drive caching is enabled (Device Manager > Hard Drive properties > Policies Tab > Check both boxes (I've never had any problems checking both, and the speed boost in some cases is helpful)

Other than that, run the systems through a thorough session with Defraggler and see if that helps any. Otherwise, I don't think it's a big deal, and I tend to be anal about how fast Windows boots.

Well as soon as I hit my password into the password field and hit enter, it then takes the 40second time period as I have been saying. However on the downstairs pc it just fades into the desktop in about 4 seconds and it's the 3.2Ghz and mine is the 3.4ghz Model. I just dont get it, I paid for a higher spec pc so I intend to get what I paid for

It's most likely just a slower harddrive. Everything points to that, all of the symptoms fit. If you're really that concerned, buy another harddrive, or swap them (but you'll have to format both of them if you do).

Then the only other things I can suggest are that you have something starting up that is causing the delay. I still think you're nitpicking to an extreme, my Phenom II X4 940 BE starts up in about 5-10 seconds from login to desktop, and it's worth mentioning that if you run a domain at all, that'll add time to a system startup as well. If you aren't on a domain, I'd start looking at things like defragmenting, cleaning up your startup, running memory tests, ensuring that you're running your system within spec, etc.

I'm not saying that your system speed isn't worth it, but keep in mind that you're basing your aggrivation on a process that is based on the slowest component in most computers today - the hard drive is the first suspect in identical builds. The only true way to be sure is to make sure you're not using any software that is slowing the system down, or that one of the drives is failing.

Hmmm..interesting

You see I posted a thread about this before on this forum site, and they all said that it was probably the hard drive (as you have said). But recently I went onto an E-Retailer and checked the product reviews of the Samsung HDD (My harddrive) and everyone was saying that it was excellent and no one had any problems with it...

PS I had been having my problem with the PC the day I made it, and I Have checked the build over and over again (as I have done other thingss with the PC) to make sure everything is connected correctly and remains generally sturdy.

Any ways I could check if there is any hidden software starting up whilst I log in?
Thanks

People praising it is hardly evidence. Look up some benchmarks for it and compare your two drives. Just because the samsung is good in other users eyes does not mean that your other drive isn't better. To check your startup processes and services, go to the start menu, then run, then type "msconfig" without quotes.

People praising it is hardly evidence. Look up some benchmarks for it and compare your two drives. Just because the samsung is good in other users eyes does not mean that your other drive isn't better.

And on top of that, just because no one on those sites reported issues, doesn't mean there won't be a bad few out there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom