My computer EXPLODED... or so it seemed...

fuzzyrider

Beta member
Ok, let's get this started. I am an absolute idiot when it comes to self control. I love to switch things on and off, push things and in general, create a mess.

I love my computer, it's good for everything I do..

Recently, I saw this red switch at the back of my PSU, it was to tempting to resist.

As I switched it from 230 to 115 I heard a loud POP with some smoke. I switched it back to 230 in horror and turned my computer on, again a loud POP. So I take my computer and plug it into another wall socket. Yet again, another POP.

So I decided to plug it into a surge protector; this solved the problem of the anonymous POP.

Now.. let's get down to my questions...

My computer is running as smooth as normal, gaming is fine and everything in general works as it would normally.. What were these loud POPs.. I opened up my case and saw no signs of bulging on the motherboard or any signs of hardware error... Is my PC fine? is it possible to come out of such a hard beating with no battle scars or am I just deluded? Thanks if anyone can answer these questions... :)

id be surprised if the PSU still works, properly atleast.

the switch is a voltage selector, setting it to 115V (around US Voltage) and putting UK 230 through it would (imo) screw it up pretty bad.

99.99% of the time, smoke is a BAD thing in electronics.

Your PSU is fried. Swap it out as soon as you can, I DEFINITELY wouldn't use it anymore. If it suddenly gives in when you're running your PC then it could well fry every component in your case.

the switch is a voltage selector, setting it to 115V (around US Voltage) and putting UK 230 through it would (imo) screw it up pretty bad.
It's not just your opinion - it's fact! :)

Agreed. Not the best choice of things to mess with. Smoke and popping from any kind of electronic device is bad. Your using it is possibly even a fire hazard....

My stepdad said he did that once, and like three days later, the thing caught fire and blew the circuit breaker to the entire floor of the building.

In the future, if you don't know what it does, google it before you mess with it.

In the future, if you don't know what it does, google it before you mess with it.
To expand on this somewhat, if you don't know what it does and it involves mains electricity, DON'T mess with it full stop. There's a difference between screwing around with things in the registry to see what happens (as long as you're prepared to wipe / reinstall) and messing around with electrics. One's an inconvenience, the other can kill.

Don't want to sound like a health and safety nag and hopefully you've learnt your lesson - but where mains electricity is involved you really can't be too careful.

I heard that switching to the UK 230 setting while in the US just doesn't allow the computer to boot but if you are in the UK and switch it to US setting will fry components since the psu will be set to receive 110v and receive 230v and break the psu

I heard that switching to the UK 230 setting while in the US just doesn't allow the computer to boot but if you are in the UK and switch it to US setting will fry components since the psu will be set to receive 110v and receive 230v and break the psu

Typically yes, but I've heard of really weird things happening both ways.

Back
Top Bottom