Windows 7 (build 7600) is not genuine? (but it is)

samnicolette

Beta member
Hey, I've had my laptop with OS Windows 7 for almost a year now (this Christmas will be a year).
Two weeks ago a message popped up on my screen informing me that the current version of Windows that I'm running is not genuine.
I'm not too great with computers, at all actually so I have no idea what in the world happened or what I should do. I have a very bad feeling its a virus messing around, but I really hope not.

This laptop was bought for me and was installed at Future Shop. I'm not sure if when they installed it if they actually gave us the Windows 7 package or not, because when I went to look for it to re-install it I didn't have it...

I'm not too sure what my options are, if there is something I can try by myself to fix it or if I should just sent it right in to get someone to fix it... or where I should be sending it to.

Help, please :(

Step one is to locate the windows product key sticker. If they sold the computer to you and you paid for windows 7, they are legally required to give you a sticker with the license key. If you have that, then your copy is legitimate and at worst a reactivation with a call to microsoft (if prompted) should clear this up. Also run windows updates. It's not uncommon for a windows update to mess with the activation status.

I guess I should have mentioned this, the product key is on the bottom of my laptop - when I re-entered it said invalid..
Also, since it's supposedly not genuine I'm not able to run any windows updates so I'm not too sure.
I guess I'll just have to give Microsoft a call then and see what they can do for me, thanks!

I guess I should have mentioned this, the product key is on the bottom of my laptop - when I re-entered it said invalid..
Also, since it's supposedly not genuine I'm not able to run any windows updates so I'm not too sure.
I guess I'll just have to give Microsoft a call then and see what they can do for me, thanks!

Call Microsoft as it is either a glitch in the activation(not uncommon) or you were sold non genuine windows... Microsoft I still believe f it is non legit will give you a free license check http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

There is a small possibility that it is a glitch in one of the updates. I've seen my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate do that on my desktop once (My copy is direct from Microsoft - OEM). I read online some time ago that this was happening to others as well and was resolved by Microsoft via another update. In your case though, if the computer did NOT come with Windows 7 and now has this message after being installed, you may have a pirated or non-legitimate copy of Windows 7 installed by the computer shop.

Back
Top Bottom