AT&T just removed my data plan... WTF?

foothead

Omnicide now.
I had the grandfathered in unlimited data plan with AT&T, then I just got this text message:

AT&T Free Msg: Did you know a data plan is required for your Smartphone? We have added an appropriate data & msging plan. Learn more @ att.com/smartphoneplans.

My mom called them, and they said that the unlimited data plan doesn't exist, and I'm on the 2GB plan.

Since I had the unlimited plan when I signed the contract, doesn't that require them to let me keep the plan, or the contract is void? Or did they work something into the contract that lets them do whatever they want?

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

It doesn't specifically say anything about reducing bandwidth allowance.

EDIT: Well here's the problem.

attfail.jpg

When I ordered my phone, the option I chose was "keep your current unlimited data plan." I figured that meant it would put me on the standard $30 plan. It seems that they left me on the iPhone EDGE plan, but they added 3G. Well, now what?

You say you had the unlimited plan when you signed the contract, but was this definitely *actually* unlimited? Virtually all companies use the word "unlimited" somewhere in their advertising but actually mean nothing of the sort. Perhaps there was a 2GB "fair usage policy" in the small print and they've renamed it? Just a theory.

They probably just figured out that you were tethering and just made up some BS rule change so they could start charging you more. Just a guess...

They forced you into the 2GB data plan because you had an older 2G Edge iPhone $20 unlimited plan. That plan isn't compatible with the 3G, 3GS or iPhone 4. Had you had any of those models with the $30 unlimited data plan you'd have kept your grandfathered status.

You never had the $30 unlimited 3G data plan so there is no way you can get it. 2GB for $25 is your only option man.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1064284 said:
They forced you into the 2GB data plan because you had an older 2G Edge iPhone $20 unlimited plan. That plan isn't compatible with the 3G, 3GS or iPhone 4. Had you had any of those models with the $30 unlimited data plan you'd have kept your grandfathered status.

You never had the $30 unlimited 3G data plan so there is no way you can get it. 2GB for $25 is your only option man.

Yup, that's what happened with me.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1064284 said:

This is ridiculous though. I wouldn't have bought the phone if I new this was the case, and it even allowed me buy it with an unlimited data plan.

Anyway, I'm calling them again tomorrow. Maybe I'll find someone who cares enough to help.

This is ridiculous though. I wouldn't have bought the phone if I new this was the case, and it even allowed me buy it with an unlimited data plan.

Anyway, I'm calling them again tomorrow. Maybe I'll find someone who cares enough to help.

You might have actually exposed a glitch in the system. Whoever designed their website may have forgot to code the criteria from the older 2G and just copied the order code from the other models. That would explain why it was offered as a choice and I'm sure if you escalate the call you might stand a good chance of getting that plan.

Back
Top Bottom