Random Chit Chat

I just got another laptop battery from radio shack, and I have a transfer from another store coming. I wish I could find more of these things. I've got every one that was left in the state.

Is this for the project we briefly discussed or the Relay Switching Processor?

It would seem that i forgot to insert Footheads quote, i just ninja'd it :D

Also i was wondering where you got to! Done any more work for the church lately?

No problem. Just trying to clarify.

Um, yes. Lots more work at the church. Completely gutted and reno'd the bathrooms in the basement (both just one stall/one room b-rooms; 1 for men, 1 for women) and the nursery (which is more of a multipurpose room). All new toilets, vanities, and faucets in the bathrooms, along with new paint and floor epoxy. In the nursery, we have water problems (well, in the whole basement really), so I busted the concrete up in the corner, dug down and installed a sump pump and then boxed that in with plywood (needs to be kid safe of course). That floor also got epoxied and the walls were painted there too. That stuff is all done now. I THINK I'm done with major projects there for at least 3 months or more. Ideally, no more until next summer (well, summer for us here in the U.S.). *relief sigh*

Is this for the project we briefly discussed or the Relay Switching Processor?

This is for the 23.6 inch laptop project.

The monitor alone draws 32W, and I'm also going to have to power a crapload of random peripherals, and the laptop itself. Hopefully I can get a laptop with a battery, but most seem not to have it.

WTF? They're remaking Godzilla again?

Is LTE included in the cost of T-mobile's plans, or does it cost extra? Their website is a huge cluttered mess, and I can't figure it out. The plan that interests me most is their $39.99/month 5GB data plan, because it simply throttles the bandwidth after 5GB instead of charging tons extra. If LTE is included, it'd actually be cheaper and faster than Cox.

For a flight sim joystick, would it be better to have the rudder control as a little thumb dial at the top of the stick, or as a slider beneath it? Both seem fine to me, but I've never really used either. I need to buy the slide pot asap if I decide to go that route because it'll take like a month to ship from China.

I'd prefer the Slider, so you can finely tweak the throttle.

There will definitely be a slider for the throttle. The question is what to use for the rudder control.

And a 23" Laptop, I Likey!

LOL. It's probably going to be about three inches thick, and I doubt I can get it below 20 pounds. The real purpose of it is so I can bring it back and forth between my parents' houses with me.

LOL. It's probably going to be about three inches thick, and I doubt I can get it below 20 pounds. The real purpose of it is so I can bring it back and forth between my parents' houses with me.

Once you have all the parts, Keyboard/Screen and stuff sketch an exoskeleton for the whole thing. The exoskeleton can also double up as the hinge as well.

I just got a text from at&t.

AT&T Free Msg: Did you know a data plan is required for your Smartphone? We have added an appropriate data & msging plan. Learn more @ att.com/smartphoneplans.

What the hell? I have the unlimited data plan. Does this mean they canceled it without informing me?

Once you have all the parts, Keyboard/Screen and stuff sketch an exoskeleton for the whole thing. The exoskeleton can also double up as the hinge as well.

an exoskeleton? You mean the case, or something else?

I've already got some sketches of what I want, but I cannot get the dimensions right until I actually get the parts.

W00T! I just officially began work on the laptop.

I started with a logitech extreme 3D pro. This thing is really nice, and I didn't want to have to tear it up, but the feel is so perfect that I really couldn't use anything less. Anyway, here is what I was left with after stripping the whole thing down:

2010-11-16121415.jpg

But that's way too thick to put in a laptop. So I used a dremel to cut off the plastic guard around the top.

2010-11-16123233.jpg

Now it's about 3 cm thick. But I can go thinner. After removing the last mechanical components, I was left with four of these:

2010-11-16123950.jpg

The joystick rests on these. I used the dremel to cut about 5 mm away from all four of them.

2010-11-16124801.jpg

All back together. It is now 25mm thick.

2010-11-16125128.jpg

This mod also tightened the spring a bit, which gives the joystick a more firm feel. I rather like it this way.

Back
Top Bottom