Making a new computer and I need help (new to these things)

Kailow

Beta member
Hi,

I am planning to make a new decent gaming/film editing/music recording rig

my budget is around $1800-$2000 AU Dollars

I'm planning on using this website: http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5
to build build my computer since I live in Australia.

So far I have picked these specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 870 Processor LGA1156 2.93GHz 8MB Cache CPU
MotherBoard: Asus P7P55D-E-LX P55 DDR3 RAID GLAN SATA PCIEx16 USB3
Ram: G Skill 6G(3x2G) DDR3 PC12800 8-8-8-24 (6GBRM)
HardDrive: Western Digital 2TB Green 64MB SATAII WD20EARS
Graphics Card:XFX ATI HD5770 1G Rev4 Dual DVI DL HDMI DP
DVDRW:LG H22NS50 SATA 22X+- Super Multi DVDR Black with Software
DVDRW:LG H22NS50 SATA 22X+- Super Multi DVDR Black with Software
Sound Card:Creative Sound Blaster 5.1VX Retail box
NetWork Card: D-Link DWA-645 RangeBooster N 650 W'less PCMCIA Card, 802.11n(draft)
Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Black Case w Window(NO PSU)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Litepower 700W ATX PSU
Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM(Microsoft OEM Terms&condition apply)

and in total it cost around $1660 (including building fee) (not sure if they are compatible with each other though)

Can I get any suggestions if this rig will be enough for gaming? (games such as Global agenda, call of duty...All the games with high graphics etc. And will it be enough for film editng since I will be studying Film and screen media nxt year. My computer right now can just barely run programs like MAYA for my animation course. My friend said windows 7 is having compatiblity issues with film editing softwares right now and told me to go back to XP instead so I'm not sure which OS I should use. Also is the creative sound blaster 5.1 software enough for using programs like Fruity Loops for vocal recording e.g. making my own songs.

Extra items: Netgear WNR3500L RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with USB

Is this a good wireless router?

If there are any suggestions please give me some tips ^_^ i'm really new to all these things and yea if you want you can use that website to make me a whole new rig haha and link me to it. Just go to the Desktop computers Tab on the top left hand corner and click on the + sign then click on customer configure system

I was looking at

Gigabyte ATI HD5850 1GB OC GDDR5 PCIE2.0 2xDVI HDCP HDMI DX11
&
Sapphire ATI HD5770 1G GDDR5

But I have no idea what I'm actually searching for. An example of a decent price/brand graphics card would be great thanks. And im not sure if ATI is better or nVidia

A couple things jump out at me here.

First I agree with Sporego get a better graphics card. Hit up a 5850 over a 5770 or even the new 6870 over a 5770 but it does not beat a 5850. AS far as your question about whether or not ATI or nVidia is better, it all depends on what you want. You will get great performance out of both. But an nVidia card will use more power, produce more heat and produce more noise than an ATI card.

Next, your processor and Motherboard are great, however they do not match the RAM you have going on. That is a dual channel board and that is triple channel RAM. Also the speed that it is, 1600 MHz will automatically overclock and all warranties are done as soon as that RAM is put in the board. If you don't care, stick with that speed, if you do DO NOT go over 1333MHz.

I also see that you are set to use a WD Green as you main drive. That isn't a good idea at all. They are meant as storage drives not main hard drives. For the best performance in a spinning disk go to a WD Black 1TB, or even 2TB but the 2TB is pricey.

You are good to go with Windows 7 Pro, because if some programs you have have issues with Windows 7, then Pro gives you the ability to Virtualize. So you can run XP while still in 7.

The wireless card you have there is for a laptop. You can tell by the PCMCIA, that is an old style laptop interface.

If you decide to go with an nVidia card, such as the 460 (Which if you do no matter how tempting it is get the 1GB card over the 768MB card) you will need a better Power Supply than that. I would suggest a Corsair in the 750 or 850 Watt range.

I can't really answer your Wireless router question without knowing your needs. Will there be online gaming? video streaming?(over the network, not youtube)

Your sound card isn't really needed, it is better than onboard but not by too too much. If you want a separate soundcard go in the Xi series from Creative.

Nvidias gtx 400's eat power you need about 700 watts and they create alot of heat unless you go with the newer ones but they just came out 4 days ago and there might not be gtx 570's and 560's

thanks for the help =3!! i'll add in some of the newer info you guys gave me to the list and post it on here again. And yes I'll be online gaming so Is that router an alright choice?

If you will be online gaming may I suggest first of all a wired network.. but if you need to go wireless get a D-Link Xtreme-N or Asus RT-N16.

Back
Top Bottom