New Hardware, Frame rate Issues

magicmanbarot

Solid State Member
Hi, ive recently built my own computer below are the specs:

Operating System- Windows 7 64bit, ultimate
Processor - Intel (R) core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz
RAM - 8gig DDR3
Graphics Card - 1GB Sapphire HD 5450 , PCI-E 2.1(x16), 1600MHz GDDR3, GPU 650MHz, 80 Cores, D-Sub/ DL DVI-I/ HDMI
Harddrive - 1TB sata
Monitor - 24inch samsung B2430H - runs the game at 1900x1200

I am very happy with my computer and its very quick but I am having problems with wow (world of warcraft, yes I know its sad lol). I would have thought my computer could run at ultra graphics settings but the most it will go is "fair". At low settings I have an fps of around 150+ at fair I have around 30. At ultra settings I have 16, I am very confused as to why this is happening and when I seem to move the frame rate drops further so I have a constant lag feeling even though the ms is fine. My last computer could run ultra but was not as good (cant remember specs but it was old with only 4gig ram) but could run ultra with very good fps. My old monitor was 18inch and I don't know if that affects anything.

A few general questions I have is:
Should my computer be capable of running higher settings?
Am I missing a vital component?
Do I need to upgrade my graphics card? if so what should I get?
Last thing is there anything I can do to improve the fps?
Could this be CPU overstress?

Thank you for reading this long and confusing post lol, any feedback will be well appreciated

Defiantly look for at your GPU a 5450 is by no means a gaming card more of a HTPC card
what was the res of your old monitor?

1280x720 was the old res. Wow is not the highest graphically enhanced game and im confused as to see why my systems having so many problems. I am starting to think I may just be having a software/driver issue.

Did you go to AMDs website to get the drivers or did you use the disc it came with?

i used the disk which downloaded the catalyst control centre onto my computer, are the drivers installed along with the control centre or do I need to install them manually online?, if so please could you provide a link please

Hi, Thank you I was missing some drivers and now there installed the lag has gone during movement which give a smooth feel to the game. The graphics on good settings are now 50 fps which is great, the graphics are still not the best on ultra. What type of graphics card would you suggest for my pc, I do light gaming but like the highest graphics, I may be purchasing cod soon :)

might be esiest to just add another card in and run dual channel. do you have a second slot to add another card in? and is the current card cappible of so?

Sorry for the delay I cant run duel channel as I don't have a second slot but I can return my video card for a full refund which is what im considering as for a decent system ive got a really cheap graphics card which is the source of my unhappiness. Is the ATI Radeon HD 4770 good? compared to my current card as this is within budget and has decent reviews?, Thank you

or would the NVIDIA GTX 460 be much better?

Don't drop "down" to a 4770. At a minimum, get yourself a 5850 or a 5770 card if you can - they'll offer the most performance in WoW.

For the record, I have a quad core and a Radeon HD 5870 with 8GB of system RAM and I don't run WoW on ultra settings. If you want the most performance out of WoW while still making the game look as good as Blizzard intended, you can keep everything on Ultra, EXCEPT for Shadow Quality. Drop it down to fair or good, and you'll see IMMEDIATE performance benefits. Also doesn't hurt to turn off Anisotropic Filtering and making sure the game isn't running on full Antialiasing. WoW just isn't a game that needs those kinds of things, especially if you group or raid often - the extra performance hit just doesn't work in dungeons with lots going on.

Back
Top Bottom