Mac OS X Lion confirmed

They're dumbing down the interface too much IMO. Sure it'll be great for people who know very little about computers, but for anyone experienced, it'll probably feel like MS bob.

lion_bridge20101020.jpg

WTF is this mess?

I bet it's still tons more usable than Windows though. Even Windows 7 is a massive PITA.

wut?

On the photo, I just didn't get what was going on.

As far as Windows 7, I'll make a list:

It killed performance
It's a resource hog
It's nearly impossible to get the "security" features to stay disabled
It's way too picky about drivers
It does weird things when I turn the monitor off
Updates tend to break drivers
background programs tend to be much more inefficient than XP
It bogs down much faster than it should
The stupid "snap" thing interferes with multiple monitors
Control Panel is way too oversimplified
Control Panel in classic mode is just a huge, confusing mess
The interface is too different from older versions for my dad to figure out

I could go on. This is just the stuff that's been a major problem for me.

I did have trouble when I first started using Windows 7, though I could never update drivers or anything because of a faulty internet connection. After having everything wired and good to go, I can't honestly picture myself ever using an older OS ever again.

^ Those are pretty piss poor reasons.

No they aren't. I only use W7 for gaming on my main computer, so I don't use it a whole lot. I literally spend more time trying to fix Windows than I do actually using it.

I also got more than 50% performance drops coming from XP on my HTPC because it is constantly using the HDD for something. Yeah, the drive is relatively slow, but it was never a problem in Debian or XP.

I will have to agree here. Those are not major problems. Here's my experience.
Win7 will run on any computer capable of running XP.
I've had no problem disabling & keeping disable the security feature.
I've never had any issues with any drivers, in fact it's so much better than XP at finding them.
Again, never any problem with updates/drivers.
I use 2 monitors and the snap feature has never caused me any trouble.
Yes it's a new interface but after a few times using it, you realise it's basically the same.

I will have to agree here. Those are not major problems. Here's my experience.
I've never had any issues with any drivers, in fact it's so much better than XP at finding them.
Again, never any problem with updates/drivers.
Yes it's a new interface but after a few times using it, you realise it's basically the same.

provided it has a DVD drive ^_^

LOL, true.

Checked out the link (finally had time) and it does seem very iPad-ish or even just 'mobile device'-ish. Not sure I want that kind of OS on my phone and on my desktop. Not sure I even want apps on my desktop...seems unusual, but I'm sure in another year or two it will be common place.

I will have to agree here. Those are not major problems.

They don't seem like it, but they can really get annoying. I've had to D/L Epson's 100MB bloated driver pack on our 800k connection four times now because updates keep breaking it. The download takes an hour, then I have to set the printer up again, which takes a while because it's network based. I know this isn't just affecting me because I just had to go fix someone else's printer after an update. My stepdad had fixed the same one two months before, again right after an update. Also, I can never turn the stereo receiver off on the HTPC because Windows will revert to 640x480 and occasionally (~10% of the time) refuse to revert back, or even display at all. The only way to fix this is a reboot, which is often a problem because the HTPC has a DVR and is usually recording something during the times I tend to use it. I think this issue is unique to my setup, which runs the HDMI out through an indirect receiver before the TV. Still, it never happened with XP.

Not really. I used to have an XP laptop with a 233 MHz pentium and 32MB RAM. I couldn't get W7 to boot on a computer with 512MB RAM.

Which security feature? I'm specifically talking about the annoying boxes that pop up when you try to open .exe s. I'm usually able to disable it for a while, then it comes back at a random later date. I wouldn't care, but I use a network-based mouse, and the firewall happens to block any remote control when that pops up. So I have to plug in a PS/2 mouse, unplug the computer, reboot, try again, then use the PS/2 mouse just to click the security box away.

You clearly don't have a Pinnacle TV tuner... I had two of them, and neither would work on W7. One was a fairly new QAM tuner, with a Vista driver available. It also refused to let me use two tuners at once if they required different drivers. One would just disable the other. I really don't care if it can find the drivers on its own or not, what I am worried about is compatibility.

I have four inbetween two video cards. I think this might be the root of the problem, but it's a pretty stupid problem. When I tried to drag a window from the monitors on the first GPU to the one on the second, it would "snap" instead of carrying over.

I'm fine with the interface. My dad on the other hand...

All of the actual bugs I've experienced seem to be pretty hardware-specific which seems to be why I'm experiencing them and most people aren't. I've got a lot more than standard hardware in my computer, which seems to greatly increase the chances of these errors.

We seem to be getting really off topic in this thread, so maybe we could leave it here. It'll just be more of the same. Just don't think that because something is perfect for you, it'll automatically be perfect for everybody else.

Back
Top Bottom