Random restart

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, Ive just put in an additional 2gb of ram.

All is the same make, same speed

After about an hour of use my pc randomly restarted, its the first time it has ever happened so im guessing its something to do with the ram. Ive done windows diagnostics test and my memory passed. My psu is a 520w coolermaster, 80+ efficency so i dont think its my psu.

What could have caused this? It hasnt happened again yet, but it hasnt been an hour yet since it last happened?

My cpu temps are also good.

Windows Diagnostics? From where? I don't trust anything that says "Windows Diagnostics."

Get a copy of MemTestx86 and burn it to CD, boot the system to that disc and let it run for at least 3 passes.

And think about it, the problem started after you installed more RAM. That doesn't take much to figure out what is causing it.

The other thing you should check is to make sure that the memory is set to the right speed and voltage in the BIOS.

I meant to say windows MEMORY diagnostics, what comes with windows 7, if you have windows 7 just type "mem" into the search bar and it will come up, i cant try memtestx86 yet because i dont have any spare discs at the moment

Nope, nothing, it hasnt done it since, so hopefully it was just a one off, touch wood.

I spoke to soon, i just got two restarts.

Until you can test with MemTest x86 (which you CAN use with a flash drive too, by the way) then I wouldn't trust the memory at all.

Windows Memory diagnostics, no matter what it's called, isn't MemTest. I don't trust anything but MemTest for memory results.

Eh well, we use Microsoft Security at work and it does fine, so I'm not QUITE in that same boat, but any "test" that comes with an Operating system, even Linux, I kind of hold at arms' length. lol

true say, i forgot Security Essentials, i use kaspersky/avast but MSE works well for putting on customer machines and stuff. If you're really lazy just put your memory back the way it was before you upgraded and see what happens + boot last known good. troubleshooting at its purest.

Im not exactly sure if im on the right website, can someone send me the link, and tell me which download link to click on once on the website, plus, do i just simply boot from the flash drive (memory stick).

Back
Top Bottom