Trying to upgrade my laptop's processor. What do you recommend?

How about you can't upgrade the cpu it's soldered to the motherboard. You can't change the main board because the system including the case because it's designed around the mainboard and the devices like the hard drive and DVD drives. In the end you'd be better off buying a new rig.

The intel version of the dv7 motherboard is the same shape and everything as my AMD dv7 motherboard.

im going to be buying the intel motherboard (comes with Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT w/ 512MB Display Memory) , intel core 2 duo, thermal paste, dv7 intel heatsink

and then ill just combine all that with what i already have and it should be good

Just wondering how much all of that will be?

Let us know how easy or hard it really is. I've never heard of anyone completely tearing apart and replacing so much on a laptop like that.

$430.49 for:
Motherboard
Intel core 2 duo processor
heatsink
thermal paste

I'm buying everything now but i'll tell you guys how it goes when I receive everything and install it.

Asus lappy with i3 350M, GMAHD, 4GB RAM, 15.6", 320GB HDD, super read/write OD, etc: 550-600 USD + free shipping.

Why would you spend $430 on something you can't guarantee will work? Let alone void your warranty, if any is left.

Asus lappy with i3 350M, GMAHD, 4GB RAM, 15.6", 320GB HDD, super read/write OD, etc: 550-600 USD + free shipping.

Why would you spend $430 on something you can't guarantee will work? Let alone void your warranty, if any is left.

no thanks, I know for a fact it will work :)

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't waste my time with trying this when I could get a brand new one (that's faster/better) for about that same price.

The problem is that it overheats and I've read reviews and it said it was because of the AMD Turion processor.
When I say it overheats.. I mean that the normal core temp is 84C. It can get to 108C.

The overheating has nothing to do with that CPU. The fact of the matter is that it was a poorly designed system, and these guys are all correct in trying to steer you away from upgrading just this unit. But do what you must, I think even if you swap it out, you'll still have heat issues.

For the record however, laptop processors run hotter than desktop counterparts due to the lack of space and thermal dissipation principles. There's less room in a notebook for adequate cooling, so the mobile processors if they aren't designed explicitly as "low power / low heat" (and they DO tell you that) then seeing temps upwards of 100 degrees C isn't unheard of. I have a laptop with the T9300 CPU (2.5 GHz dual core) and it'll reach 90*C if I beat it hard enough, but it runs fine. It was designed to do that.

If you've already dusted the system out, and cleaned every aspect of the cooling system and it STILL hits those high temps, it was poorly designed. But then again, it's an HP laptop, so that explains a bit. (I have a single core HP laptop with an AMD chip and it too hits 80C all the time)

Actually I dusted it out and it started running 30-35C cooler, so that's a good sign. But anyways, the parts have been ordered and they should be here within 10 days!

Well you guys wanted to know if this upgrade was successful or not.... it was!

Old laptop:
320 GB 5400 RPM Hard drive
4GB DDR2 RAM
AMD Turion x2 processor
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Upgraded to:
500GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
4GB DDR2 RAM + 4GB Flash Drive ReadyBoost
Intel core 2 duo processor
Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT w/ 512 MB memory
New heatsink
New WLAN card
New switch cover
New keyboard

--it works perfectly!

I'd also like to point out I went from getting a core temperature reading of 100 degrees C and higher, to 32-35 degrees C

Back
Top Bottom