Trying to upgrade my laptop's processor. What do you recommend?

Vitality

Solid State Member
Hey, currently I have an HP dv7-1245DX laptop. Here are the specs:

Windows 7
AMD Turion X2 dual core @ 2.10 ghz -- 64 bit
4 GB RAM - (2x DDR2 SDRAM )
ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics card
320 GB HD

The problem is that it overheats and I've read reviews and it said it was because of the AMD Turion processor. Is there another processor I could upgrade that would be a little faster and also not overheat my laptop? If I needed to, I could also replace the motherboard. But I would prefer to just replace the processor. (A quad-core would be nice also.)

When I say it overheats.. I mean that the normal core temp is 84C. It can get to 108C.
Thank you! :)

You couldn't run an Intel CPU unless you change the motherboard.

The CPU your running is a 3 year old, Socket S1, 35W TDP CPU. I don't think you'll find a quad core chip but i'd strip it down a give it a good clean, check the fans and the exhaust fins; they can hold back a lot of dust which will hinder cooling.

Would it be possible to upgrade the motherboard to make it compatible with Intel while still being compatible with my DDR2 RAM?

I've never upgraded/swapped a laptops motherboard so I can't comment although it's not the same as swapping out a motherboard in a tower.

Yes it would probably be a whole different situation and everything because a laptop is kind of smaller and a computer is bigger so it could be difficult.

I found the intel motherboard for the HP Pavilion DV7:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...P-DV7-motherboard-480365-001-wholesalers.html

Would this work for my current setup? I see that it supports the DDR2 RAM so my RAM should work still.. is there anything else that i should worry about if I buy it?

(I broke a ZIF connector off my AMD motherboard...) (The one that connects from the power button, volume buttons etc. to the motherboard)

How about you can't upgrade the cpu it's soldered to the motherboard. You can't change the main board because the system including the case because it's designed around the mainboard and the devices like the hard drive and DVD drives. In the end you'd be better off buying a new rig.

Back
Top Bottom